Linus Torvalds Calls For More Linux Kernel Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dee. View Post
    Ouch, how will I ever heal from these sick burns? I'll go cry myself to sleep now...

Looks like I struck a nerve, there. You know, I don't often insult halfwits, because it's kind of like shooting fish in a barrel, but since you happen to make such an excellent target... well, and because you're a perfect example of someone who's an antisocial outcast, someone who quietly resents women because they don't give you the time of day... You probably go around, being all "nice and friendly" to women, then secretly resenting them when they go on to date "jerks" and not you even though you offer them fake friendship with ulterior motives. Then you go home and jerk off to some hentai, using your tears as lube.

Am I hitting close here? Because that's exactly the impression you've been giving of yourself, so far. Please, I await with anticipation of your poignant and well aimed riposte. Perhaps next you can call me a "stupid poopyhead"? Or tell me to "STFU" some more? You can always just scream some swear words and throw a tantrum, if coming up with something halfway resembling of wit is too hard to you, like it seems right now. But hey, maybe you'll surprise me. Maybe.
    You know what they say about trolls..

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Sorry Sarah, you aren't getting special treatment because of your gender. Maybe concentrate on doing a better job instead of sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.
      But she wasn't tasking special treatments at all. Her post mentions specifically and generally other developers (and how they are sometime treated by Linus).

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        I don't think that really had anything to do with it.

I disagree with her point, and don't think this is going anywhere, but it's certainly something i've heard from many men as well who linus pisses off and in particular i bet there could be legal issues at play.

But attacking someone based on their gender or religion, etc. seems wrong to me.
        I truly hope there is nothing 'illegal' with Linus attitude and wording. If there is then the law should be changed. Linus is rude but in a useful and entertaining way.

I do agree that attacks based on gender/religion/whatever should be banned. Attacks on technical merit, on the other hand, are more than welcome. Especially when formulated with eloquence and humor.

Comment

Come back to Europe, Linus!

We appreciate your wit, we're not at all like the puritan colonies!

Comment

I think she raised a fair point. She's missed some jokes, but we've all done that at some point. Professionalism isn't about being politically correct, it's about behaving in such a way that it creates a good working environment. If Linus' behaviour is putting people off the idea of becoming kernel developers or engaging with the kernel then that sounds to me like a problem.

I think his behaviour treads dangerously close to bullying; telling somebody that they're a moron and swearing at them isn't necessary to get the job done. It isn't necessary to do it well. It isn't necessary to publicly shout at somebody. Just because he tried being nice to one guy and that guy got the wrong idea, it doesn't mean all other developers should put up with it. Maybe Linus was at fault for not being firm enough, it's perfectly possible to be polite but firm.

Comment

My God, this girl is a obsessed feminist... lol, just look at her G+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116960357493251979546/posts it's full of hate against men. Not funny. I feel being discimitated against.

Btw the pyramids didn't get build from talking. On the other side, Poland has been destroyed several times from too much talking (Greece too wasnt it?).
              Last edited by Nuc!eoN; 19 July 2013, 06:40 AM.

Comment

Sarah = Femifascist

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
                My God, this girl is a obsessed feminist... lol, just look at her G+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116960357493251979546/posts it's full of hate against men. Not funny. I feel being discimitated against.

Btw the pyramids didn't get build from talking. On the other side, Poland has been destroyed several times from too much talking (Greece too wasnt it?).
                Just a raw selection:

Internships are available for women and genderqueer/genderfluid people for summer 2013, from June to September.
                These results are pretty amazing:

- 41 women applied for 6 Linux kernel internships.
                - In 13 days, 374 patches were submitted, and 137 patches were accepted.
                - Diff stat for accepted patches:
                105 files changed, 3889 insertions(+), 4872 deletions(-)

I'm really, really proud of our FOSS Outreach Program for Women (OPW) applicants! More details in my blog post.
                I highly recommend any conference organizers read this. It is spot on about sexualized entertainment making me less likely to want to talk to the opposite gender.
                This is why you need female engineers to write your job descriptions if you want to have a more diverse team.
                and much more...

I may be getting something wrong, but I sure as hell see a political agenda here.

Why do so many people think she is the measure of all things in this debate? She isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by frign View Post
                  I may be getting something wrong, but I sure as hell see a political agenda here.

Why do so many people think she is the measure of all things in this debate? She isn't.
                  She didn't mention her gender or anything about it when starting this discussion. Other people are making the inference that because she is a woman, and she is complaining, she is complaining *because* she is a woman, which is absurd.

To your quotes::
                  1. internships available for non-men
                  2. pride in the outcome of an outreach program
                  3. suggesting that conference organisers pay attention to something
                  4. women should write job descriptions if you want more female applicants

1: and? would it be a bad thing to have more people involved who aren't men?
                  2: really don't understand how this is objectionable
                  3: computer-related conferences are notorious for being focused on men, or at least ignoring women. Making organisers aware of something they may not have thought was an issue is surely a good thing. Isn't it?
                  4: I'm not convinced by this one, so I don't think I can defend it.

Comment

So I try to seperate the different mixed together points. hope I succeed, I see a high chance to get also attacked here from one site or so, but I try it anyway

There are different points that matter:

1. she said something about dont be abusive... now the real question is, does she accept the different oppinions from the other devs and learns her lesson, or not. If she basicly accept that now at least for now and I find it ok to talk about that.

2. what makes the media out of it. medias search stories, thats not the fault of her, media know that this is something differting, and thats a good thing because people listen to it and react to it.

3. peoples thread it differnt when womens are involved, here I see a main reason on feminist pseudo-movement. And that goes back really long, one fight I saw here with THE german feminist vs another woman where she abused her for having a different oppinion. Because she said that there is no onesided big discrimination of woman.

But forget about that, even if I never would have seen that, feminists miss the point most of the time.who raises our kids, woman, who are abusive to this kids most of the time, right, woman, who gets most often physical attacks, right man, who has big structures to help them beeing successful, right women, who is because of all that more successful in schools woman.

even if you would agree that there was some discrimination ( beeing forced to work away from the home in a kind of dictatorship/company ) or get forced into wars it not neccessary a advantage for that gender.

but again even if you think that woman were discreminated at one point, we overdid it, and there are some bullshit talkers that compare stuff thats not comparable... its lobbiest. They dont care if woman still gets discrimnated or its the opposite they do what lobbiest do they fight to bring advantage to that group with what tools ever.

As example they say that woman gets dont know 30% less money or so... they just dont say that that is for less hours of work or such stuff...

And they miss often the biggest point, the main discrimination is about the mighty rich 1-10% people vs the other 90-99% work-slaves. And in this group the employed vs the unimployed.

And even if you would think that woman would be threaded unfair, as normal person you would target first the biggest problems than the smaller ones.

4. what she has on her profiles... yes that makes her suspect but I would ignore it as long as she dont start such bullshit arguments on the kernel lists, what I read till now, she did not bring the gender discussion to the kernel mailing list. she is jung maybe she learns on this list, that not all man are rapists or that she gets the same respect than a man if she brings good work.

5. to the picture of technical people "that get no woman on school" as far as I know most of them are "softies" they often at least before they had to fight on the job and see how shitty the real world is today, they are the most woman normal-threater out there. But thats a problem woman want man that have balls and maybe not totaly control the woman but lead the group or something. Thats why this tech guys except they someday earn much money have problems with finding woman.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
                      So I try to seperate the different mixed together points. hope I succeed, I see a high chance to get also attacked here from one site or so, but I try it anyway

There are different points that matter:

1. she said something about dont be abusive... now the real question is, does she accept the different oppinions from the other devs and learns her lesson, or not. If she basicly accept that now at least for now and I find it ok to talk about that.

2. what makes the media out of it. medias search stories, thats not the fault of her, media know that this is something differting, and thats a good thing because people listen to it and react to it.

3. peoples thread it differnt when womens are involved, here I see a main reason on feminist pseudo-movement. And that goes back really long, one fight I saw here with THE german feminist vs another woman where she abused her for having a different oppinion. Because she said that there is no onesided big discrimination of woman.

But forget about that, even if I never would have seen that, feminists miss the point most of the time.who raises our kids, woman, who are abusive to this kids most of the time, right, woman, who gets most often physical attacks, right man, who has big structures to help them beeing successful, right women, who is because of all that more successful in schools woman.

even if you would agree that there was some discrimination ( beeing forced to work away from the home in a kind of dictatorship/company ) or get forced into wars it not neccessary a advantage for that gender.

but again even if you think that woman were discreminated at one point, we overdid it, and there are some bullshit talkers that compare stuff thats not comparable... its lobbiest. They dont care if woman still gets discrimnated or its the opposite they do what lobbiest do they fight to bring advantage to that group with what tools ever.

As example they say that woman gets dont know 30% less money or so... they just dont say that that is for less hours of work or such stuff...

And they miss often the biggest point, the main discrimination is about the mighty rich 1-10% people vs the other 90-99% work-slaves. And in this group the employed vs the unimployed.

And even if you would think that woman would be threaded unfair, as normal person you would target first the biggest problems than the smaller ones.

4. what she has on her profiles... yes that makes her suspect but I would ignore it as long as she dont start such bullshit arguments on the kernel lists, what I read till now, she did not bring the gender discussion to the kernel mailing list. she is jung maybe she learns on this list, that not all man are rapists or that she gets the same respect than a man if she brings good work.

5. to the picture of technical people "that get no woman on school" as far as I know most of them are "softies" they often at least before they had to fight on the job and see how shitty the real world is today, they are the most woman normal-threater out there. But thats a problem woman want man that have balls and maybe not totaly control the woman but lead the group or something. Thats why this tech guys except they someday earn much money have problems with finding woman.

great post !

Comment

Working...
                      X