Canonical Shows Mir, Unity-Next Running On MacBook Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by r_a_trip View Post
    Small price to pay. Replacements will spring up and hopefully they will be able to work together with the rest of the distributors and vendors. I don't believe that going mainstream at all costs justifies all means necessary.
    And if we wait there wont be an OSS computing market outside of the server space. Fact, Microsoft and Apple are looking to have completely walled up gardens, if Linux doesn't make big strides forward you can kiss it goodbye.

The success of Android and iOS is the death nail of the home computer if left up to those companies which is exactly what you are proposing we do. You fail to realize that your geekness as a Linux user will go away if it's no longer profitable for Intel and AMD to produce chips in bulk for the consumer market. Most ARM hardware is either a locked bootloader or no support for Linux drivers that aren't closed blobs that aren't freely available or distributable.

Linux on the desktop needs to get big fast and start bringing in more commercial companies so it can start eating up more market share instead of chasing the dreams of the ubernerds that want Linux to be their little pet project only.

Comment

Originally posted by bartek View Post
      You mean like Google did with Android ??

;-)
      Google doesn't give 2 shits about Linux, they only care about mining as much data as possible on it's users, Linux was just the cheapest and fastest way they could get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
        SUSE and openSUSE say hi.
        SuSE sold their soul to Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
          your, you're, there, their.
          Please take the time to educate yourself on the appropriate usage of the above. Also, I've seen you take every opportunity on this thread to make it clear how much you despise Canonical and Ubuntu, and seem to hold them to be the ultimate evil, and to hope that RHEL and CentOS beat the crap out of them or somesuch. Seems a bit like the attitude of a Windows fanboy toward Linux, or vice versa. Ironic, isn't it?

Some Ubuntu haters seem to think that it's worse than Windows and is somehow evil. Odd, as far as I'm concerned, and not a bit hypocritical. Feel free to point out when they do something legitimately bad, like the first version of Unity they put out, or a crap implementation of Pulseaudio (at least at first, now it's great), but some people just will not give them any credit, because.....

Comment

if red hat will use wayland , possibly nvidia drivers will be compatible with wayland and mire, so easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              SuSE sold their soul to Microsoft.
              Uh huh. Guess what Attachmate has done so far? Absolutely nothing. Exactly as planned. Also, they don't even have anything to do with the openSUSE project to begin with.

Comment

BO$$, while there are quite a lot of people spouting hate and insults at Canonical, some of them have a point and not considering it or telling people that it doesn't matter that not many people use other distros is itself trolling. Even if Ubuntu is the most used per distro, nothing can be said as to the total Ubuntu and non-Ubuntu usage from that alone. Also, Mint seems to be used more than Ubuntu if anything, firmly pushing Ubuntu into less than 10% overall usershare if distrowatch is to be held even slightly accurate.

They might make Mir, they might make it even bearably usable as an X replacement or more so. The problem comes in the form of interoperability., for example if Mir promotes itself over Wayland and GPU driver coders suddenly decide to support Mir only. Since Mir is not shaping up to be compatible with anything but Ubuntu, more than half of all linux desktop users will be left in the dirt. I'm also sure that many people who use Linux servers [quite a bit more numerous than desktops, AFAIK] would like to use whatever they're using now but with a sleeker graphical package rather than switching over everything to Ubuntu with it's rather mobile centered set-up. If they want to make the next Android on the other hand, just say so and go off into your closed little world.

More on topic, it doesn't look like they're doing anything ground breaking or fresh compared to the other server alternatives. I do like how they are at least integrating with Android software though. Maybe they'll stick Mir onto mobile devices and Wayland can stay on desktop. That I think would be healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
                  These guys really think that Canonical is evil and that somehow they don't play by their rules. Of course they don't play by your rules you geniuses. By your rules linux would have been where it was before Canonical. Totally irrelevant <1% marketshare. Of course they need to change the strategy. And of course they will not listen to you. If you were any good you would have had Arch or Slackware as the dominant distro but you don't. Why? Because people don't like them. And you can't force them to use things that they don't like. Canonical just gives them what they want.
                  I don't for one second believe that Canonical can be credited with any increase in popularity in Linux. Rather it seems to me a culmination in the maturity of the platform, a growing dissatisfaction with Windows etc. Ubuntu came about at just the right time to make the most of the situation, and if it wasent Ubuntu, it would have been another distro.

I can see why many people are distrustful of Canonical, at times they seem quite happy to bite the hand that feeds them - the larger Linux community. But IMHO their ultimate problem is that Canonical is set up a commercial company which is defiantly a bad fit for giving away a principally desktop oriented distro. I'm not sure how Shuttleworth planned to make money that way.

AFAIK Canonical is still making a loss and in the Linux community it appears the only way to make decent amounts of money is to sell corporate "solutions", or have a product that acts like a vector for other services (i.e. Google and Android). In both cases, especially the latter, Canonical doesn't have much to offer potential customers compared to other companies. To me all of the recent ventures that Canonical have undertaken (i.e. Touch and TV) are an attempt to somehow find a revenue stream by any means possible, which is something that has proved illusive to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
                    Google doesn't give 2 shits about Linux, they only care about mining as much data as possible on it's users, Linux was just the cheapest and fastest way they could get it done.
                    Yes, microsoft, or even apple wouldnt let google to do such a bad things with their os.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
                      I suppose the big question here is how did Canonical get access to a pre-production Macbook?

Apple shouldn't like them that much.
                      It was just another "woops, i left my new iPoo prototype at the bar accidentally again... i wish no news portals will write about its 'new features' "

Comment

Working...
                      X