Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolla Presents Sailfish OS MeeGo-Fork

Phoronix: Jolla Presents Sailfish OS MeeGo-Fork

Jolla, the Finnish company that was formed by many ex-Nokia employees that were responsible for their MeeGo work and the Nokia N9 smart-phone until Nokia jumped in bed with Microsoft for the Windows Phone, finally showcased its Linux OS today: Sailfish, a fork of MeeGo Linux...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

shut up and take my money

Comment

Might want to add slush keynote:
      jollausers.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, jollausers.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Comment

Man there's still hope for an N900 successor......

Comment

Originally posted by ZebCarnell View Post
          Man there's still hope for an N900 successor......
          YES. I hope they haven't forgotten the N900, the greatest phone ever. I switched to an Android with better specs and still wtf at the crappy sluggish multitasking, the poor handling of audio volumes and outputs, hoho you need to hack your friggin phone to do ANYTHING ADVANCED, and many other small things.

I hate Android, I use because of the apps and the faster browser.

Comment

Originally posted by [Knuckles] View Post
            YES. I hope they haven't forgotten the N900, the greatest phone ever. I switched to an Android with better specs and still wtf at the crappy sluggish multitasking, the poor handling of audio volumes and outputs, hoho you need to hack your friggin phone to do ANYTHING ADVANCED, and many other small things.

I hate Android, I use because of the apps and the faster browser.
            the only problem I had with my N900 was that the USB connector came off after every few months. Never had that on another phone. Aside from that: yes, the N900 was awesome.

Also you forgot that you need root rights to backup your own data. How stupid does a developer has to be to pull something like that off? I didn't knew that the IQ scala can go into negativity...

Comment

Wow. Closed source crap served by a company proud of its increasing patent portefolio.

That was a very new way of doing things. Oh wait it is not. It is right next to iphone on the shit-o-meter.

FAILphone.

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                Wow. Closed source crap served by a company proud of its increasing patent portefolio..
                Only the user interface and user facing applications are closed source. The operating system is build on Mer and therefor the usual GNU/Linux userspace stack. The work on low level components is directly available for other Mer based systems like Nemo and Plasma Active and of course pretty much every desktop Linux distribution there is whereas improvements in Android ecosystem (excluding the kernel) never gets there.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  Only the user interface and user facing applications are closed source. The operating system is build on Mer and therefor the usual GNU/Linux userspace stack. The work on low level components is directly available for other Mer based systems like Nemo and Plasma Active and of course pretty much every desktop Linux distribution there is whereas improvements in Android ecosystem (excluding the kernel) never gets there.
                  Yeah it is sooo Apple like. Throw in af few open source components and add your patented closed source shit on top. Get a bunch of teenagers to worship it while you plan how to maximize patent ROI.

Holy crap how can anyone support such a shit load of apple turdism?

Comment

Originally posted by funkSTAR View Post
                    Yeah it is sooo Apple like. Throw in af few open source components and add your patented closed source shit on top. Get a bunch of teenagers to worship it while you plan how to maximize patent ROI.

Holy crap how can anyone support such a shit load of apple turdism?
                    You have reached a new level of stupid.
                    If you knew anything, you would know that Jolla, while not 100% open, is more open then android. Making it the only Linux mobile platform with any chance. WebOS is dead and plasma active won't get any serious adoption. It is the only mobile linux with GNU user land and to share desktop Linux stack. Benefiting distros and allowing desktop Linux software to easily be ported. This is also has makings for success. On their twitter they already have contracts with carriers. They have third party hardware companies committing.

To call these people Apple turdists, and support Gnome 3 developers who are focused on nothing but "building our brand" and have devs who thinks theming should be disabled to build their "brand". It's hypocrisy.

Comment

Working...
                    X