KDE 4.9 increases boot speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE 4.9 increases boot speed

By a good 5-10 seconds. I didn't time it, but I don't see how anybody could miss it.

Just to be clear, boot time to me isn't power button to login screen. That's useless.

I'm talking about auto login. So power button to a usable desktop. Power button to being able to launch Firefox or any other application.

To the KDE devs, thank you. I know that Martin Graesslin made this a personal priority:

I haven’t been blogging about KWin for quite some time, so it’s way time to write what I recently worked on for KWin. The big topic of the work of the last two weeks is improving the st…

Success. Even though it doesn't benchmark differently:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It just feels faster. It's faster everywhere.

I want my Solaris v5.x boot times back, where you switch the machine on, and then go to get some coffee while waiting for it to finish booting ;-)

Comment

KDE 4.9 on an old athlon xp 1.5ghz laptop brings the boot speed down below 30 seconds.

Its impressive what's been done here.

Comment

Working...
      X