HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I haven't looked at Mandriva specifically but a lot of the distros package up our binaries so that they *do* install properly on your specific distro.
    The package that Mandriva provides for the 8.493 version of the driver is availible on the backports repository. However after i install that package there is no acceleration at all(2D or 3D). Anyway i guess i'll wait for 8.6 to come along since the current one doesn't work to well on other distros.

Comment

• Originally posted by phoenix12345 View Post
      The package that Mandriva provides for the 8.493 version of the driver is availible on the backports repository. However after i install that package there is no acceleration at all(2D or 3D). Anyway i guess i'll wait for 8.6 to come along since the current one doesn't work to well on other distros.
      but you need to uninstall the official AMD driver first then you can install the one from the repo

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
        but you need to uninstall the official AMD driver first then you can install the one from the repo
        Of course i did that, i'm not that stupid... I did a clean install of Mandriva 2008.1 Free today and there's still no acceleration(using the drivers from the repository).

Note: I have the XT version of the card, not the Pro.
        Last edited by phoenix12345; 17 June 2008, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• Fred you have very good performance of Your card (probably very very similar to performance in Windows XP) bacause on my PowerColor 2600 PRO 512MB I have ~2300 FPS in glxgears... why?

Comment

• Originally posted by nadro View Post
            Fred you have very good performance of Your card (probably very very similar to performance in Windows XP) bacause on my PowerColor 2600 PRO 512MB I have ~2300 FPS in glxgears... why?
            Why?... Why why everybody ask why but how is so much more interesting

the performance is about 80% of what I get in winXP witch is not to bad.

note I use to get 6800 fps with my old radeon 9800 pro !!!!!! wich mean that there is still a lot of improvment to be made to this driver!

@phoenix12345

Did you install the kernel devel for your current kernel ? That might explain why.

Here is how I manage to get it to work

step 1

uninstall the "Official driver"
            sh /usr/share/ati/fglrx-uninstal......

step 2

in the MCC I got the free driver
            reboot

step 3
            install the non-free driver
            reboot

Voila
            Last edited by fred; 17 June 2008, 06:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
              @phoenix12345

Did you install the kernel devel for your current kernel ? That might explain why.
              I guess i have the devel installed since ( modprobe fglrx ) works.

Comment

• Maybe you should have a look at / post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to understand why theres no dri? Look for the Lines beginning with (EE) or (WW).

Comment

• Ok so i uploaded the log here because of the board's post character limit.
                  From what i saw in there it only detects 256 of 512 MB, it's loading some kind of vesa driver, and it says something about the kernel module being corupt.

I think i'm going to compile the latest kernel and install the official driver and see the results.

Comment

• Hey Bridgman, is the 2600XT AGP supported in 8.6 now? It came out this morning.

Comment

• With Catalyst 8.6 aren't speed improvments for my Radeon 2600 Pro...

Comment

Working...
                      X