No announcement yet.

HD 2600 PRO AGP - driver problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, I downloaded drivers yesterday by official links max ~2 minutes after released, so archive maybe will not replaced. Now I re-downloaded drivers archive. In my previous installation I use kernel 2.25.14 and generated rpm package with modified ati driver spec file for Fedora 9 rpms. Now I updated kernel to 2.6.25.3-18 and I install drivers in text mode (in graphic mode installer window is too large and I can't click on any buttons or resize it). I don't see AMD logo in corner, so I was think than all is good I run my testing 3d application and... I have similar performance to my Windows performance with Catalyst 8.5. Now I have 3d acceleration without artefacts, no errors etc. So, also on Fedora 9 we can install drivers, we only have to downgrade Fedora 9 xorg to xorg from Fedora 8
    Last edited by nadro; 22 May 2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• Great! It looks like the PRO has support now (except for your Fedora 9/8 Xorg thing, anyway) Now all I have to do is hope the XT model isn't too different, or will be supported by the next driver release.

Congratulations, and enjoy Compiz fusion for me (Provided that works).

Comment

• I tested it with wrong version of my testing application. Performance is ~50% Windows Catalyst 8.5 performance, so I don't see changes compare to Catalyst 8.4

Comment

• Dang. Oh well.

Comment

• Ho Yeah life is good

In my opinion the easiest distro to try the new AMD driver is definitely Mandriva 2008.1, Ubuntu seem to mess xorg every time someone install the official ATI driver by hand!

Mandriva 2008.1 come with the 2.6.24.4 kernel and my HD2600 PRO work great almost on par with the XP driver.

I will do some comparative benchmark this evening to compare the XP Versus the Linux driver.

I will test the: QWET 1.4 demo
            Doom3
            Quake4

I will post back later tonight.

Comment

• I would say Kanotix is the most easy distro for 3d driver install, because you can get always the latest drivers via scripts + you can easyly revert to older drivers too with the same scripts.

Comment

• Originally posted by fred View Post
                In my opinion the easiest distro to try the new AMD driver is definitely Mandriva 2008.1, Ubuntu seem to mess xorg every time someone install the official ATI driver by hand!

Mandriva 2008.1 come with the 2.6.24.4 kernel and my HD2600 PRO work great almost on par with the XP driver.

I will do some comparative benchmark this evening to compare the XP Versus the Linux driver.

I will test the: QWET 1.4 demo
                Doom3
                Quake4

I will post back later tonight.
                So, I am waiting for Your test I have hope than with other distro drivers will be works better. I tested it with Irrlicht 3d engine examples.

Comment

• This is what I got

Machine spec:

one Gigabit of ram DDR 472 dual channel
                  ASUS P4P800 SE
                  P4 2.8E @ 3.3 Ghz

Linux: Mandriva 2008.1 Kernel running on a 2.6.24.4-desktop-3mnb kernel

Windows: WinXP home service Pak 2

Doom3 time demo benchmark was done with those setting:

Ultra Quality resolution 1024X768 at default setting

Linux at 3.3 Ghz = 50.0 FPS
                  WinXP at 3.3 Ghz = 62.9 FPS

Quake4 timedemo is a custum time demo

Ultra Quality resolution 1024X768 at default setting

Linux at 3.3 Ghz = 57.8 FPS
                  WinXP at 3.3 Ghz = 73.2 FPS

QWET was check for playability at medium and high quality setting at 1024X768

Medium

Linux at 3.3 Ghz = very playable
                  WinXP at 3.3 Ghz = very playable

high

Linux at 3.3 Ghz = Very playable but the game need more time to load.
                  WinXP at 3.3 Ghz = same

In conclusion the Linux driver has 79% of the performance of the Windows XP driver!
                  Interesting fact in catalyst (WinXP) the memory clock for my card is set at 500 Mhz and in Linux Catalyst show the memory clock at 400 Mhz 400/500= .8 * 100 = 80%

If I could set the memory clock manually in Linux to 500 Mhz I think that the result would be about the same.

Note: the result of the time demo is the last result of tree benchmark.
                  Last edited by fred; 23 May 2008, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• Alright! That's a lot better than I would have expected. I guess that 3d desktop effects work as well (I only ask because I want to know if everything works).

I wonder how much different the XT is from the PRO. Anyone know? I know it may be a difference of "the XT is faster," but I'm wondering if this driver release will work for my XT, or if I should wait.

Comment

• Originally posted by philosopher0926 View Post
                      Alright! That's a lot better than I would have expected. I guess that 3d desktop effects work as well (I only ask because I want to know if everything works).

I wonder how much different the XT is from the PRO. Anyone know? I know it may be a difference of "the XT is faster," but I'm wondering if this driver release will work for my XT, or if I should wait.
                      Yep compiz work great here

Let's say that I'm one happy Linux user

does anyone know a way on how to set the memory clock manually????

maybe an aticonfig --pplib-cmd something type of command???
                      Last edited by fred; 23 May 2008, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X