Many FSF Priority Projects Still Not Progressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dashcloud View Post
    Looking at the article, they've checked with three projects: LibreCAD (which is a fork of the community edition of QCAD), FreeCAD, and Blender.
    Well Blender and FreeCad are both GPLv2 or _later_ so they should have no problem with GPLv3 licenced code but I haven't read the article, will do so. LibreCad was licenced GPLv2 only though so it obviously can't use it.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
      Also how many CAD projects are there in need of this which are GPLv2 only.
      You don't need many perhaps? And GRASS already supports LibreDWG as far as I can tell (but they are GPLv3+, AFAIK).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
        revise the list to include more relevant projects to the widest audience of users (the CAD file and network router drivers IMHO don't really belong on there...)
        Michael, this is a cultural thing. I won't speak for network router drivers (totally out of my expertise), but as for CAD, this is about being a community of makers, not just consumers. We can't force consumers to become makers, but we can encourage them, and for that we need tools that are real world compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by jhansonxi View Post
          I'm not sure what the 3D CAD situation is (Blender is all I've heard about).
          In short, FreeCAD is making some serious progress. They went the modular way (they call it workbenches) which makes it easy to work on different aspects of the app, from architecture to solid modeling to 2D drafting. There still are some issues, but the team is fantastic. I really hope that they team up with Open Source Ecology project.

Comment

Then you blame FSF for the lack of innovation in free software, as if they have any control of that? Furthermore where is the innovation today, is Microsoft being innovative (Zune, Silverlight, Bing, XPS, Xbox etc ad nauseum)? Apple (rounded corners!) ? I mean seriously?
            Let's not be childish. Most recently Microsoft came up with Kinect. As for Apple, they basically changed the mobile gadgets ecosystem and put everyone in a state of pursuit It's not about liking them, its about admitting facts.

Comment

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
              Let's not be childish. Most recently Microsoft came up with Kinect.
              They bought the Kinect technology from PrimeSense, they also recently bought Skype. Again where is Microsoft's 'innovation'?

Originally posted by prokoudine View Post
              As for Apple, they basically changed the mobile gadgets ecosystem and put everyone in a state of pursuit It's not about liking them, its about admitting facts.
              A polished experience is not 'innovation', nor is an AppStore.

Comment

They bought the Kinect technology from PrimeSense
                OK, fair enough

Comment

Most of those projects are pointless....
                  gnash? Who the hell cares? Flash is well on its way to irrelevance and won't be missed.
                  coreboot would be nice, but won't go anywhere until MS finally dies (fortunately, the world is transitioning to mobile, and that is where MS is a dead duck)
                  skype? The world is FULL of free replacements for that proprietary CRAP, mature, and HEAVILY USED. In fact, there is even an open source replacement for ALL PROTOCOLS AND INFRASTRUCTURE used there, in particular, based on the SIP protocol. This fully open protocol is WORLDS SUPERIOR TO THAT CRAP GARBAGE TRASH DIE DIE DIE SKYPE CRAP PIECE OF SHIT. We ABSOLUTELY DO NOT need to propagate that CRAP by developing free INTERFACES to it. It needs to DIE, and the best way to do this is to leave it TOTALLY UNSUPPORTED.
                  Free google earth replacement? Uh... the software behind google earth is barely more than TRIVIAL to implement. The missing piece here is DATA. Unless you can get a slew of FREE SATELLITE IMAGES covering the ENTIRE PLANET in HIGH DETAIL, and also STREET MAPS (complete and accurate), then any attempt to duplicate this software is destined to FAIL.
                  After this, there are a couple of interesting things mentions... but finally, the list ends on powervr drivers, but GUESS WHAT? The ONLY place where lack of this was ever crippling, was with the INTEL POULSBO, which now works OUT OF THE BOX with recent linux distros. I could give a flying f*** about 3D, the hardware that these chips ship with isn't powerful enough the even USE 3d, making it totally pointless. Display works now, without POS proprietary crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    I'm not sure why there's FUD that I hate the GPL.
                    You were critical of the free software foundation, you can't do that without setting certain people off. In fact you really can't be critical at all without being labeled a troll or a shill.

Comment

Gnash and Coreboot

Fact: RMS pointed out that Gnash and Coreboot are not supported by FSF. In fact the 'priority projects' in that list are not supported financially by FSF.
                      Gnash has its uses and gets its funds from elsewhere.
                      There are GSOC projects for it this time.

Comment

Working...
                      X