Help on screen rotating: RHEL4.3, ATI X1300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help on screen rotating: RHEL4.3, ATI X1300

I am recently switching to Linux. Please bear with me if my question is native. I did google search on this topic but didn't get anything helpful.

My question is that how to rotate my LCD into the portrait mode and setup X appropriately. I have installed the latest ATI fglrx driver (version 8.32.05). However, I can't find any rotation option in their control panel. The 'xrandr' command shows only one possible option (normal) for 'Rotations possible'.

I did found online a lot of discussions about screen rotating on NV video cards. However, there are very few posts talking about ATI driver support for screen rotating in Linux. I really appreciate if someone can give me instructions on how to do it.

I also try to rotate my screen to no avail. I have an AMD 690G motherboard with integrated Radeon X1250 graphics and I am using Debian sid with the latest ATi driver (8.39.4). I can only change my resoltion with xrandr -s, but no rotation or reflection. I tried the VESA driver too but it won't let me rotate the screen either. Could it be that there is simply no support for rotation in the driver from ATi?

Comment

I now have rotation via the fbdev xorg server.
      You need:
      Kernel with vesa framebuffer and fbcon.
      Kernel boot options video=vesa:ywrap,mtrr vga=794 fbcon=rotate:3.
      xorg.conf with Driver "fbdev" and Option "Rotate" "CCW".
      You can also rotate the console with "echo 3 > /sys/class/graphics/fb0/rotate_all".

The numbers for the vga option are listed in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt,
      i need to convert hexadecimal to decimal.

The vesa framebuffer is very slow though, you cannot really work with that.
      Last edited by nV2zXR1o; 30 July 2007, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Is there a possibility to make rotation work with the free "ati" driver? I am using it on an older ATI 7000 card on Ubuntu 7.04.

When I try to enable rotation with 'xrandr -o left' I get the following result:

X Error of failed request: BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
        Major opcode of failed request: 154 (RANDR)
        Minor opcode of failed request: 2 (RRSetScreenConfig)
        Serial number of failed request: 12
        Current serial number in output stream: 12

Enabling "RandRRotation" in xorg.conf did not help.

Comment

Working...
        X