Slowdown while running Compiz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowdown while running Compiz

When using the free radeon driver 2d-stuff, like scrolling in firefox, is much slower when Compiz is on. When Compiz/Beryl isn't used the radeon driver is just as fast as fglrx when it comes to 2d.

This is noticed when the system isn't doing anything else then scrolling in the firefox window, no 3d-effects.

What causes this and will this slow-down be seen in a AIGLX enabled fglrx driver like 8.42?

I heard some people using other drivers (like nvidia) had this problem, too. Probably a Compiz issue. What version of Compiz are you using? Compiz 0.6 / Ubuntu Gutsy?

Comment

This time I was using Debian Etch with Compiz 0.5.5. I'm almost sure that I saw the same slowdown in Ubuntu Gusty with it's default Compiz but I will check it again later this evening (GMT+1). I hope that this is due to the radeon driver's bad 3d-acceleration.

So there is at least one person that at least once has run Compiz/Beryl without a 2d-slowdown?

Edit:
      I do expirience the slowdown with Ubuntu Gusty and Compiz 0.6. It's easiest to see while scrolling in firefox on websites with images, but it's also noticeable in other programs with less intense scrolling.

I'm using a "slower" system, an AMD 2500+ with 512 RAM and an ATI 9600XT.
      Is a big 2d-slowdown usual when using Compiz?
      Last edited by Betel; 15 October 2007, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Where did you get a working Compiz for Etch?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
          Where did you get a working Compiz for Etch?
          Code:
          # Compiz Fusion
          deb http://download.tuxfamily.org/shames/debian-etch/desktopfx/snapshot/ .
          I'm using it with the radeon driver. Never managed to install Xgl in Etch but I'm hoping for AIGLX in fglrx any time now.

Comment

Working...
          X