Missing Functionality From The Linux Graphics Drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    - no accelerated SVG, requires huge pixbuff to provide some average 3D performance in KDE4, desktop is rather not much responsive.
    ah thats why
    does mesa/gallium do that? i remember the performance with nouveau not being much better

Comment

Originally posted by EvilTwin View Post
      ah thats why
      does mesa/gallium do that? i remember the performance with nouveau not being much better
      I don't know if it does that, but:
      Mesa:
      Code:
        --enable-openvg         enable support for OpenVG API [default=no]

"OpenVG? is a royalty-free, cross-platform API that provides a low-level hardware acceleration interface for vector graphics libraries such as Flash and SVG."

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
        I don't know if it does that, but:
        Mesa:
        Code:
          --enable-openvg         enable support for OpenVG API [default=no]

"OpenVG™ is a royalty-free, cross-platform API that provides a low-level hardware acceleration interface for vector graphics libraries such as Flash and SVG."
        so you have to build you own driver-stack to use openVG?
        btw: are there any hopes for nvidia blob to get svg acceleration? or is it out of their target for linux?
        a smooth kde with nvidia would be awsome

Comment

Do any of the linux apis actually support OpenVG? I'm fairly certain Cairo doesn't, but I'm not sure about Qt's library.
          Really, I can't recall anything using OpenVG.
          Am I just blocking out a whole bunch of libraries?

Comment

The other thing is that you can't simultaneously enable multi-GPU / SLI and TwinView. You have to pick one or the other. I believe with the Quadros you can do both. And I think this limitation is placed in the driver. It might apply to Windows also?

Comment

Originally posted by patstew View Post
              Haven't got my projector to hand to test, but I'm pretty sure disper does that just fine (-s for primary only and -S for secondary only). That suggests nvidia-settings should be able to do it too.
              I'll check it out when I'm back home next week, however I'm pretty sure it didn't work on my 420M so maybe it another missing functionality for fermi.

Comment

I am not here to start a flamewar or anything, but I must say, that I am surpriced how many features the proprietary nvidia driver miss? Coming from a fglrx world, I though nvidia was nearly feature complete, judging on all the fglrx haters praising nvidia. But these missing features might actually suggest that fglrx is more feature complete besides official support of video decoding? At least randr is something very basic I would'nt substitute for videoacceleration.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

Hmm

Originally posted by tball View Post
                  I am not here to start a flamewar or anything, but I must say, that I am surpriced how many features the proprietary nvidia driver miss? Coming from a fglrx world, I though nvidia was nearly feature complete, judging on all the fglrx haters praising nvidia. But these missing features might actually suggest that fglrx is more feature complete besides official support of video decoding? At least randr is something very basic I would'nt substitute for videoacceleration.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
                  You know, thats exactly what I have been wondering as well :P

Ive often wondered if I should have got nVidia card given what I hear, but now I'm happier

Comment

- multisampling in 3D does not work
                    I does ..
                    - forcing pre-fermi cards to minimal performance level does not work
                    Does not make sense anyway (no you can't save power this way).
                    - no accelerated SVG, requires huge pixbuff to provide some average 3D performance in KDE4, desktop is rather not much responsive.
                    Neither does any driver (well and no one uses openvg).
                    - no way to control fans manually
                    There is ... just set enable the coolbits option in xorg.conf (assuming it is not a laptop where he fan is shared with the cpu).
                    [?] having several monitors with different resolution leads to no acceleration
                    Not true.

[?] requirement to use outdated xinerama instead of xrandr
                    Not true .. you can use twinview instead.

[?] SLI is practically non-existant, in best case the SLI config achieves a little bit more performance than that of single card, completed different from windows.
                    Lack of SLI profiles for linux ..

Comment

Kernel Mode Setting?

Comment

Working...
                      X