KDE SC 4.7 Release Candidate Hits The Web

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I just installed 4.7 RC1. Kwin is even slower than before. It now officially holds the title of "worse performance in a window manager ever". It seems all this talk about "improved kwin in 4.7" is total BS :-/
    Blame the drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by siride View Post
      Blame the drivers.
      Yeah, I do a lot of that one too!

Comment

What does the Show FPS plugin show when you perform actions like "Present Windows" and when minimizing/maximizing big windows that overlap with others? Here it goes down to 40FPS.
        "Present Windows" works the same as in 4.6 here (nvidia blop) in OpenGL and XRender backed. But there is definitely something wrong with unminimizing/painting windows (lots of CPU Kwin/X usage and noticeable lag, ~100-200ms).
        Uncompozited KWin is definitely slower.

Comment

Actually, no. free is pretty dumb compared to system monitor. Quite often, free can't be trusted as much as sysmon.
          I don't know what you people are discussing, but I suggest smem anyway
          : P

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
            KDE4 basic desktop with no applications/no plasmoids running consumes on average up to 500MB of RAM.

If you don't believe me, run the following experiment:

1) log off from your KDE session
            2) switch to a text console, login as root, run `echo 3 > /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches`, then `free`. Remember how much RAM is actually free.
            3) switch back to you graphical login manager, log in as a user, wait for KDE session to complete loading.
            4) switch back to the text console and run `free` again.

Now you can compute how much RAM your KDE session really eats. And that number will astonish you, I promise
            your forgot to drop caches again.

Comment

I just installed 4.7 RC1. Kwin is even slower than before. It now officially holds the title of "worse performance in a window manager ever". It seems all this talk about "improved kwin in 4.7" is total BS :-/
              For me it's faster/snappier than 4.6 , altough it regressed a little from 4.7Beta1. Using fglrx with inidirect rendering

Comment

Originally posted by sumski View Post
                For me it's faster/snappier than 4.6 , altough it regressed a little from 4.7Beta1. Using fglrx with inidirect rendering
                I guess that's the direction it's heading; getting faster with the binary-only drivers, but worse and worse with the X.Org ones.

I was able to make it bearable by using this ~/.drirc:

Code:
                <driconf>
                    <device screen="0" driver="dri2">
                        <application name="Default">
                            <option name="vblank_mode" value="0" />
                        </application>
                    </device>
                </driconf>
                It's somewhat better now. But still a joke compared to Compiz or KDE 4.4.

Comment

Just tried with R600g (from git) , and performance is muuuch better than both 4.6 (both R600g and fglrx) and 4.7 (fglrx)
                  Last edited by sumski; 01 July 2011, 01:45 AM.

Comment

kwin performance is still terrible for me with intel drivers. I noticed no improvement.

Comment

I just hope kwin works faster with fglrx. Compiz runs ridiculously better on my e-350 (but makes the rest of KDE significantly buggier than it already is).

Also, does anyone knows if kwin 4.7 finall fixes the garbage that displays momentarily when opening a new window? (Again, compiz doesn't suffer from this...)

Comment

Working...
                      X