Suspend / resume broken with open ati drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspend / resume broken with open ati drivers

Hi, I have Fedora 15 beta with an ATI 5850 with open ati drivers, and resume is broken, the screen always goes black after resume and I have to hard reset. (I had the same problem with Ubuntu and Mint..., but I could never fix it...)

Another issue is that when I change the profile of the video card with:

Code:
    echo "low" > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_profile
    the fan get silent, but the gnome effects get slow too...

any suggestion?

Thanks!!

It's working OK for me. HD4200/M880G (R600). Running Debian Unstable with 2.6.39-rc6 and drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati from git.

Comment

Nice to know it, but I dont know what can I do... I've tried to disable kernel mode setting at boot but resume still crashes (and of course GNOME-SHELL start in fallback mode)...

Comment

Is it completely dead? If not then you could install SSH server and log into it from another machine to troubleshoot. It looks like your card is Evergreen based and from the Radeon features page suspend/resume is supported with the latest driver stack.

Comment

Originally posted by amphigory View Post
          Is it completely dead? If not then you could install SSH server and log into it from another machine to troubleshoot. It looks like your card is Evergreen based and from the Radeon features page suspend/resume is supported with the latest driver stack.

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature
          I think I can log with ssh, so what to do? what to check? thanks

Comment

Look at kernel messages (using 'dmesg') and Xorg log ('cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log'). Check for any errors that stand out. You can also restart the X server from a SSH session. '/etc/init.d/gdm restart' -- or whatever display manager you are using (KDM, XDM, etc.)

Take a look at what kernel/drm/mesa/xf86-video-ati versions you are running.

Even if you have to hard reset the system you should still be able to look at syslog and Xorg log from previous session.

The above examples may be different on Fedora. I'm running Debian and haven't used Red Hat/Fedora in about eight years so I'm not versed in that distro anymore.

As always, Google is still my number one resource when troubleshooting an issue. Something along the lines of 'ati evergreen linux resume blank screen' is a good place to start.

Comment

I had a similar problem (HD 5870 here). In the end it seemed to be my OpenGL screensaver that was causing the grief. For now I've just disabled that (left power management enabled though) and the problem went away.

For your performance trouble, have you tried dynpm?

Code:
               echo dynpm > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_method
              YMMV (flicker) but it's not bad.

HTH

David

Comment

I've checked and I cant log into my computer with ssh when resuming, so I have to hard reset. According with the documentation, "dynpm" method change dinamically between high and normal mode, not low, so the fan is very lousy.

Comment

What kernel are you running? 'uname -a'
                  Look in your syslog after rebooting for the salient log entries. 'less /var/log/syslog'

Of course the syslog may not have any resume events because you are having to power cycle the system.

Mine looks like this.

root@quark:~# uname -a
                  Linux quark 2.6.39-rc6 #2 Sat May 7 19:29:47 PDT 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Syslog:
                  Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

Comment

[root@localhost salva]# uname -a
                    Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.38.5-24.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Fri May 6 08:00:28 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

and... where is the syslog in fedora?

Comment

Working...
                    X