Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Driver Is Out! Meet Oktoberfest!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In cases like Free drivers, is when all that third party licenses get applied to the hardware. That really hinders Free drivers and renders them to be subpar, and depending your application needs, useless. I don't think we'll have Free drivers be able to play the latest and greatest of games, even if they have a Linux port (*cough*ETQW*cough*). The amount of third party IP embedded into graphics chipsets is immense and could very well mean the difference in performance (and features).

Comment

• I would like to see the benchmarks of a NV 8800 GTS (maybe GTX/Ultra too, just these are more expensive) card against 2900XT, a NV 8600 GT was maybe enough before, but now it should be compared against same price hardware. The 640 MB GTS should be similar from price.

Comment

• Seems like AMD is doing one right step after another. Until it materializes, we'll see.

And 8.41 should be an interesting driver release, maybe enough to compell me to fire up my Fedora box and try to fix my driver. Of course, if it doesn't work, I will again fall under the hate wagon.

Helping open source is going to be cool. If I hold on to my x800 long enough, open source drivers should be able tod o 3d acceleration on it without fglrx.

Comment

• Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          Seems like AMD is doing one right step after another. Until it materializes, we'll see.

And 8.41 should be an interesting driver release, maybe enough to compell me to fire up my Fedora box and try to fix my driver. Of course, if it doesn't work, I will again fall under the hate wagon.

Helping open source is going to be cool. If I hold on to my x800 long enough, open source drivers should be able tod o 3d acceleration on it without fglrx.
          Hmm, I thought the x800 (r400) already had 3d acceleration with the open source radeon driver.. I might be wrong but I thought it did.

I went and did a quick lookup to find proof and yeah it does.

ATI Radeon X800XL (R400)

While the R400 series is just an extension of the R300 class these faster GPUs offer a much more pleasing experience with desktop eye candy. Using an ATI Radeon X800XL 256MB (resolution at 1680?1050), which is one of the fastest graphics cards right now with open-source X.Org drivers, it had performed extremely well. The desktop while idling and during basic desktop usage was always over 200 FPS and the lowest that the frame-rate had ever dropped during heavy usage was to about 25 FPS. Other system components had included dual Intel Xeon Clovertown quad-core processors and 4GB of RAM with Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn.
          -from Phoronix We thought it was already clear what graphics processors and drivers work and don’t work with Linux desktop eye candy such as Beryl and Compiz, but it seems based upon the numb…

From the sounds of it, it sounds pretty decent with the open source driver.

Or do you mean x1800?

Comment

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
            Hmm, I thought the x800 (r400) already had 3d acceleration with the open source radeon driver.. I might be wrong but I thought it did.

I went and did a quick lookup to find proof and yeah it does.

-from Phoronix We thought it was already clear what graphics processors and drivers work and don’t work with Linux desktop eye candy such as Beryl and Compiz, but it seems based upon the numb…

From the sounds of it, it sounds pretty decent with the open source driver.

Or do you mean x1800?
            Heh. Hope for that on a Fedora Core 4 box with no online updates?

Comment

• ATI Radeon HD 2400/2600 On Linux

This week has been extremely exciting to say the least. We started by telling you about the AMD 8.41 Display Driver which is largely rewritten and offers Radeon HD 2000 product support, performance improvements, and soon will support AIGLX. Four articles looking at the R300/400, R500, and R600 performance under Linux followed that preview. Then yesterday we told you about AMD's new open-source strategy for supporting Linux and the open-source community. Well, what do we have for you today? With the 8.41 display driver we have completed some additional benchmarks using the Radeon HD 2400PRO 256MB and Radeon HD 2600PRO 256MB graphics cards. In this article, we see if these two mid-range ATI Radeon HD 2000 graphics cards are able to compete against NVIDIA's GeForce 8 series.
              Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
              Michael Larabel
              https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

• I bought a Radeon 9600 a long time back. Expected there to be good driver support in Linux since ATI had it listed as a supported device in Linux. I use Linux solely on my system and since their drivers are so terrible, I haven't been able to use the GPU since I bought it. Such a waste. ATI you have failed me miserably. It's way late to make good, but you guys better get on the ball. My next card purchase will come in November. If this new driver doesn't deliver, forget about me buying another ATI card.

Sorry....had to vent....I'm running a Nvidia GeForce 2 MX because it's faster than my non-supported ATI Radeon 9600. Pathetic.

Comment

• Sorry....had to vent....I'm running a Nvidia GeForce 2 MX because it's faster than my non-supported ATI Radeon 9600. Pathetic.
                  Funny, I have 2 systems running Linux with 9600pro, 1 Fedora7 and the other Debian etch. I never had a problem installing the fglrx drivers on both of these systems.

Comment

• Rather than ranting about the drivers back when I decided to go from 9500 to an nVidia GeForce FX 5900 back then, I simply took the plunge. I hope to buy ATi hardware again, I certainly do.

Comment

• Originally posted by glussier View Post
                      Funny, I have 2 systems running Linux with 9600pro, 1 Fedora7 and the other Debian etch. I never had a problem installing the fglrx drivers on both of these systems.

Please share how you were able to get it to work. Downgrading the kernel so that it will work with the driver seems to be a must. I've have done so, and had it compile. But, I can't get it to load...get an operation not permitted error. Did some reading and found that Debian's tools do not support the non-free driver, and I needed to install restricted-manager to override this. restricted-manager is no available for Debian, but is in ubuntu. If I try to install the ubuntu version, I get tons of dependency issues that can't be easily resolved. How where you able to load them? I've been getting and error about DRI not loaded...if not that one, then something about GLX not supported...it's been a while since I've tried it, but I know I've easily spent 40 hours working on it over the last 2 years...the driver is terrible.

Comment

Working...
                      X