stupid n00b question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stupid n00b question

This is a really stupid question, but I can't find the answer to it anywhere, so I apologize in advance- I'm just running into a wall on it.

I can't seem to get the ati-driver package to recognize my kernel module build packages; every time I do:

./ati-driver-installer-<whatever>.run --buildpkg Fedora/FC6

The script starts up, and terminates with:
    Created directory fglrx-install.W15346
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing ATI Proprietary Linux Driver-8.39.4............................................ .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................
    ==================================================
    ATI Technologies Linux Driver Installer/Packager
    ==================================================
    Generating package: Fedora/FC6
    Please install an appropriate Linux kernel module build package.
    The package(s) you need are likely kernel-devel and/or kernel-headers.
    If you've compiled a custom kernel, make sure /usr/src/linux exists
    and the source tree matches the currently running kernel.
    Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.W15346

(this one was from 8.39, but I get the same thing from all versions back through 8.29, albeit slightly altered verbiage)

But I've got all the necessary packages installed:

$ rpm -q kernel-devel
    kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
    $ rpm -q kernel-headers
    kernel-headers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
    $ rpm -q qt-devel
    qt-devel-3.3.8-1.fc6
    $ rpm -q rpmdevtools.noarch
    rpmdevtools-5.3-1.fc6
    $ rpm -q redhat-rpm-config
    redhat-rpm-config-8.0.45-6

(the running kernel is indeed 2.6.18, and the kernel source is on the system as well, though 2.6.20 is on the system too. I don't use it for unrelated reasons)

I also did the basic FC6 install with all the development software sets. I've run ldconfig. Just can't get the installer to recognize the kernel build packages for some reason.

I figure I'm missing some glaringly obvious thing here. Anyone know?

thanks,

Try installing the drivers directly from console instead of creating RPMs. That's what I was told to do on Fedora.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
      Try installing the drivers directly from console instead of creating RPMs. That's what I was told to do on Fedora.

Thanks, but when I do that I get this error in the /usr/share/ati/fglrx-install.log:

[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.
      [Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.
      [Error] Kernel Module : No kernel module build environment - please consult read me.

Which seems to indicate the same problem- the installer can't find the LKM build environment. Which is installed. And linked.

So I remain stumped.

Thanks anyway, though- I'd forgotten about doing it from console. That was how I had gotten it to work in FC3.

Comment

Originally posted by queuedvariable View Post
        But I've got all the necessary packages installed:

$ rpm -q kernel-devel
        kernel-devel-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
        $ rpm -q kernel-headers
        kernel-headers-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6
        $ rpm -q qt-devel
        qt-devel-3.3.8-1.fc6
        $ rpm -q rpmdevtools.noarch
        rpmdevtools-5.3-1.fc6
        $ rpm -q redhat-rpm-config
        redhat-rpm-config-8.0.45-6
        I unpacked the rpm and it creates a "kernels" folder. Like the installer says, the kernel build environment MUST be linked to /usr/src/linux

Code:
        ln -sf /usr/src/kernels/2.6.18-1.2798.fc6-i686 /usr/src/linux
        That should do it.

Comment

Working...
        X