SB700 high temperature problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't bump... its not polite :-)

Anyway I have an Acer 5332u ... that has an SB700 and also gets extremely hot and hangs if I don't have the CPU throttled and have good airflow under it. And yes its worse without the catalyst drivers installed. Ubuntu 10.10

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
      Don't bump... its not polite :-)

Anyway I have an Acer 5332u ... that has an SB700 and also gets extremely hot and hangs if I don't have the CPU throttled and have good airflow under it. And yes its worse without the catalyst drivers installed. Ubuntu 10.10
      Sorry
      I'm so sad because of this problem. In a new attempt I searched my desk and found a copy of FreeBSD 7.2. I brought the laptop up with FreeBSD 7.2 and after about 4.5 minute, the HDD bay under my laptop was too hot, and although I didn't have any way of measuring temperatures, I could sense that it's too hot, like always without AMD drivers.
      So:
      AHCI power management in SB700 chipset is different to other chipsets, and it needs a special driver. How can I find/write something for it?
      Thanks again.

Comment

You could download the chipset docs and start poking random registers with setpci.. not sure if that's gonna get you very far though. I doubt that there's a magical use less power switch.

Comment

Originally posted by chefkoch View Post
          You could download the chipset docs and start poking random registers with setpci.. not sure if that's gonna get you very far though. I doubt that there's a magical use less power switch.

http://developer.amd.com/documentati...t.aspx#chipset
          Well..., This is embracing! In the link you mentioned, clicking on AMD SB700/710/750 Register Reference Guide on firefox needs a password!!!! and on chromium won't open!
          This is not a good behavior!
          Any Idea?

Comment

Originally posted by ario View Post
            Well..., This is embracing! In the link you mentioned, clicking on AMD SB700/710/750 Register Reference Guide on firefox needs a password!!!! and on chromium won't open!
            This is not a good behavior!
            Any Idea?
            By the way, I tried openning it directly from google search though. For now, reading it

Comment

Sorry guys, I'm a little scared! I found something about power management there, but before any attempt, is it safe to modify chipset register values using setpci?

Comment

Originally posted by ario View Post
                Sorry guys, I'm a little scared! I found something about power management there, but before any attempt, is it safe to modify chipset register values using setpci?
                If it doesn't work, reboot. Just don't let it overheat if something goes funny.

Comment

Yeah .. permanent damage is pretty unlikely.

Sorry about the links.. either that's new or I also used google to access them last time.

Comment

Latest PowerTOP?

What does PowerTOP report? Latest build (1.97) is available here for Ubuntu/Debian:

Check out the Tunables tab and see what it says.

Comment

*too lazy to read thread* but how do you know that your SB is 'too hot'?

Comment

Working...
                      X