Intel, Miguel de Icaza Comment On Nokia's Move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Sun was selling cut-down but working version of StarOffice for decades (OOo).
    *stupid edit limit*
    Sun was releasing cut-down but working version of StarOffice for decades(OOo).

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar View Post
      C++ for mobile apps is even dumber than Objective-C.
      C++ is definitely way more powerful than C#
      Unless you abuse it, which C# & Java were designed to prevent in first place.

Comment

C++ for mobile apps is even dumber than Objective-C.
        I guess it's "dumb" to be able to port your C++ app that runs on Linux, OS X and Windows to a mobile without having to rewrite a million lines of code in another language.

Yes. Very dumb. Obviously, you never needed to do anything like that. I guess that's the reason you make uninformed statements like that without having a clue what you're talking about.

Comment

What a prick

Here's the part that really pisses me off...

Miguel de Icaza himself was the person who started the majortiy of the GNOME vs. KDE war when he went on a rant about how KDE was tainted for being based on QT. Fast foward a few years and he starts trying to get .Net on Linux with Mono. Then he starts the wine-doors project. Then he embraced OOXML, and now this...

What the fuck happened to all that GPL zealotry you aimed at KDE???

In short... I've never liked this guy. He's always been a complete fraud and nothing more than an overly ambitious opportunist. People said I was crazy or paranoid when I used to criticize him for this type of BS - well let's see people defend him after this one.

Comment

Mono is worthless

Java is about the only thing that will produce a binary which runs on Linux, Windows, or etc.

When Debian finally drops the hammer on Mono it will be a good day. Until then we're stuck with it in Ubuntu.

Too many people want to live in the lime-light and not promote the mission.

Comment

.NET does do a good job of allowing portability... Theoretically.

In practice, virtually every real app hooks into native Windows assemblies, which makes them extremely unportable.

Java, by making it much more difficult to do that sort of thing, aggravates programmers but typically results in more portable apps.

I can see why Miguel is excited about this. All he really cares about these days is Mono, and this is going to open up a huge new market for him to try to sell into. Nobody was going to be very interested in Mono in Meego when many of the benefits of Mono were already present natively in Qt. It's definitely a blow to Linux, though, he just doesn't care about that.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                I guess it's "dumb" to be able to port your C++ app that runs on Linux, OS X and Windows to a mobile without having to rewrite a million lines of code in another language.
                No, that's a fine goal. Good luck porting your "million lines of C++ code" to run on iOS or Android, though.

Yes. Very dumb. Obviously, you never needed to do anything like that. I guess that's the reason you make uninformed statements like that without having a clue what you're talking about.
                Let's just say that you are way off the goalpost here. PM me if you wish.

What the fuck happened to all that GPL zealotry you aimed at KDE???
                KDE+Qt became 100% GPL so that zealotry is no longer relevant?

He had a valid concern about KDE once. That concern no longer applies, so he got over it. Time for you to do the same.

Originally posted by crazycheese
                C++ is definitely way more powerful than C#
                Unless you abuse it, which C# & Java were designed to prevent in first place.
                With great power comes great responsibility. Now imagine a memory leak on your mobile phone... yeah.

That said, I do dislike the fact that WM7 is tied to C#, mainly because it prevents me from using Opera Mobile. I like the language, I like its portability, speed and features but I dislike lock-in and lack of choice. Which means I won't be buying a WM7 phone any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackStar
                  Download link or it didn't happen!
                  http://tech.gaeatimes.com/index.php/...ava-on-iphone/
                  Your link contains:
                  1. a Sun announcement that Java could work if Apple would only let them. Posted in 2008, no download links or anything else of value.
                  2. a guide to jailbreaking.

So no valid solution for Java. It only runs on 1 out of 3 smartphone platforms so it's not very portable compared to C++ (2/3) or C# (3/3).

Comment

Your link contains:
                    1. a Sun announcement that Java could work if Apple would only let them. Posted in 2008, no download links or anything else of value.
                    2. a guide to jailbreaking.

So no valid solution for Java. It only runs on 1 out of 3 smartphone platforms so it's not very portable compared to C++ (2/3) or C# (3/3).
                    Do yourself a favor - move our back to Oracle and Apple and ask what legal war prevents them to run Java code on platform that runs java code perfectly. Bye!

Comment

Do yourself a favor - move our back to Oracle and Apple and ask what legal war prevents them to run Java code on platform that runs java code perfectly. Bye!
                      > move our back to Oracle and Apple
                      > move our back to
                      > our back

Please rephrase, this is not valid english. Or it is, and then it's just plain creepy.

> platform that runs java code perfectly

[Citation needed]. Because google doesn't turn up any download links for Java on iOS.

The best I've been able to find is IKVM over MonoTouch. Which is ironic as hell: Java over Mono and a single codebase for Android/iOS/WM7 and the desktop.

Though why would anyone use Java when you can run already Python, Ruby, C#, F# and Lisp over Mono is beyond me. Haters gonna hate, but Novell has created something of real value here.

Comment

Working...
                      X