VT screen corruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VT screen corruption

When I switch to a virtual terminal using "CTRL+ALT+F1-F6" i'm getting screen corruption.

My Specs:
    X800XL
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy Eft
    X Window System Version 7.1.1
    ATI FGLRX 8.29.6

I see yellow lines all over the screen.

Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks.

If I recall correctly, this is a known issue with the fglrx display drivers. Not sure off hand if anyone has figured a work-around -- you may want to check the BugZilla.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

I'm in no way familiar with this bug, but you may want to try enabling or disabling - depending on whether you're using it at the moment or not - the framebuffer console for your VTs.

Apart from that, there's always the free drivers. They should even provide hardware-accelerated GLX for your graphics adapter by now.

Comment

Originally posted by colo View Post
        I'm in no way familiar with this bug, but you may want to try enabling or disabling - depending on whether you're using it at the moment or not - the framebuffer console for your VTs.

Apart from that, there's always the free drivers. They should even provide hardware-accelerated GLX for your graphics adapter by now.
        I tried using the "ati" driver that comes with edgy and it reports "no screens found". With the "radeon" driver I get the same screen corruption. This makes be think that this is an Xorg 7.1 issue, or a config issue on my side.

Anyone else have any insight??

Comment

I already had this problem on 2 Ubuntu installations (both 32 and 64 bit) and from what I found, this error is related to the boot/GRUB/Splash screen resolution with the ATI drivers installed.
          You should try and change this resolution to get your virtual terminal work again.

See here http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1541970 for a very well explained post on how to change this.
          Basically you need to test different vga= options on the #defoptions line of your /boot/grub/menu.lst file.

I have no exact and always working solution because... it depends even on the same hardware !
          For me the resolution that solved the problem is 1280x1024x24 in Ubuntu 32-bit :
          Code:
          # defoptions=quiet splash vga=795
          And with the exact same machine, I need to stay in 640x480 to avoid virtual terminal corruption in Ubuntu 64-bit.

(All this is with ATI's latest 8.33.6 drivers installed.)

Comment

Working...
          X