Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATI+FC5+Xgl Figth

Hi:

I very interesting in work with Xgl on my FC5 laptop, but I fighting with this for a week and I still have problems.
    My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 6400 with a ATI Mobility Radeon X1300, after deal with this a lote, now I have 3D HW aceleration enable with the ATI propietarie driver fglrx 8.25.18. glxgears report about 1300 fps, and quake work like a charm.
    But my problem now I think is related to gdm, becouse I can't boot my system in level 5, I have to start in level 3 and then do a startx, so Xgl claim with this error:

(process:2823): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2215: initialization assertion failed, use IA__g_type_init() prior to this function
    (process:2823): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
    Can't find the PID file in the configuration file, going to try:
    /var/run/gdm.pid
    /var/run/gdm.pid doesn't exist, perhaps GDM isn't running

and also i think that may I have some other problem with GDM becouse if I run gdmsetup, I get a mesage about "Can't read configuration file, trying 1-4" or something like this. I read about this kind of problems with gdm and the ati drivers, but I don't know if I can do something else to fix gdm configuration, or jump gdm for xgl, or some other paqage, script....?

I want to help with this XGL+FC proyect, and if I achieve this I commit to write a guide in spanish and english.

Help please, Mauricio from Chili
    [email protected]

The problems you post seem to be not XGL specific. I haven't made any attempts at FGLRX+XGL... if I remember correctly, doesn't Fedora have its own composite desktop modules?

Hope this link helps you.
    Last edited by niniendowarrior; 16 June 2006, 09:15 PM.

Comment

is something with the fglrx and GDM

Originally posted by niniendowarrior
      The problems you post seem to be not XGL specific. I haven't made any attempts at FGLRX+XGL... if I remember correctly, doesn't Fedora have its own composite desktop modules?

Hope this link helps you.
      http://fedora-xgl.blogspot.com/2006/...on-fedora.html

the problem is related with fglrx and GDM, if I use vesa driver GDM work perfectly, but with fglrx gdm stop working correctly.
      Recently I update my gdm FC5 paquage, now I can boot in runlevel 5, but when gnome is loading stop responding whe is loading the "Window Manager", if I turn my inittab to level 3, gnome work fine again.

I also put a post related to this in the GDM forum....
      The fight coninue :-)

Comment

The biggest problem I have with Xgl is that even the normal desktop and surfing needs 3D acceleration. I manually switched my 9600XT's fan to 7V and after an hour the stock HSF was at extremely hot.

I haven't done much research but I hope someone will implement a switch that allows the eyecandy to be tunred off temporarily in order to work peacefully.

Comment

Xgl Finally working!!! and very stable!!!

Hi to all:

Finally!!!!, I have Xgl running in my Dell Inspiron 6400 + ATI X1300, runs prefect with all plugins and is very, very stable, I'm running this for a couple of days and even on or more videos in full screen works perfect....even with translucent, etc, etc...

I only have 2 problems right now:
          1.- Alt-Gr don't work, I read some post about change the keyboard layout with "xmodmap /usr/share/xmodmap.<somelanguaje> ", but all files on that folder make my keyboard even worse. But when I run gnome with normal X, my keyboard is fine, so how can I know what exactly keyboard layout is uses by gnome in normal run to use the same with Xgl, or may be other solution??

2.- My "java" apps like, LimeWire, don't work, some workarround?, I read that this can't be solve right now...in the mean time I run this apps with VNC.

Thanks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by buhochileno
            Hi to all:

2.- My "java" apps like, LimeWire, don't work, some workarround?, I read that this can't be solve right now...in the mean time I run this apps with VNC.

Thanks!!!
            For this apps install Sun JAVA runtime.

Comment

sorry not so simple

Originally posted by dmlog
              For this apps install Sun JAVA runtime.
              sorry not so simple, the problem is related to a bug in the java toolkit, a java app weit for a "reparent" signal to process some window-related-event (like repaint), and Compiz don't send that reparent-signal, so the java app only show a gray window.
              In a normal X server session all my java apps work perfect....ofcourse that I have installed java runtime...(or do you mean a update?, path?)

Comment

I think there might be a problem with how you installed JRE. Double check this. That's all I can think of.

Comment

is a instalation problem

Originally posted by niniendowarrior
                  I think there might be a problem with how you installed JRE. Double check this. That's all I can think of.
                  is not a install problem, java app work perfect in a standard X/gnome session, the problem is with Xgl, someone can run form example LimeWire on Xgl??, the problem is related to a bug in the java toolkit (specifically Swing apps)....I'm going to apply a patch to xgl...

Comment

buhochileno, could you post your Xorg.conf and let me know which version of the ATI drivers you're using?

I am having a LOT of trouble getting DRI working with the same system you've got (Inspiron 6400 and X1300 Mobility).

It seems like any ATI drivers I use that are for this card (that excludes the most recent ones from ATI) then X will only work if compositing is enabled (and thus direct rendering is disabled). If I disable compositing and direct rendering gets initialized then X hangs nearly on startup... KDM hangs on startup...GDM hangs as soon as I enter my password.

If you could post your configuration then I'd REALLY appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X