• Show
Clear All

• Dual Display not working Ubuntu/Ati Catalyst Drivers

Hardaware Setup:

Gigabyte 890-UGH MB with integrated ATI HD4920 GPU,
    Dual Display output used: DVI (with DVI-D-VGA adaptor) and VGA
    Linux distro: Ubuntu 10.10
    graphics driver: ati catalyst 10.10

Monitors: Dell 17" LCD Eseries (both identical, VGA)

Problem: I cannot detect the monitor connected to the DVI-VGA adaptor. Before installing the catalyst driver, i was able to see the second monitor in the display settings, but nothing was showing on the monitor, the mouse and windows could be moved into the left etc. After the ATI catalyst driver install, second monitor does not even detect.

I have tried aticonfig --inital=dual-head, etc and RandR is set to false in both xorg.conf and /etc/ati/amd.. file but still if I try to run aticonfig --dtop=horizontal i get RanR is running 1.2 error.

I am not sure if this is a driver/xorg.conf settings issue, or something more fundamental in the hardware. If I try to just boot with the DVI-VGA adaptor montior I get nothing on the screen, does this mean my adaptor is messed? Am i normmally supposed to get the inital BIOS screen with the one monitor connected or does the DVI port only get detected later?

Any help will be appreciated...

If you only connect a single monitor to the card via the adapter and unplug the other, you should see the BIOS screen. If you don't, something's wrong with the adapter. Was it included with your board, or did you aquire it separately?

If that works, check your mobo manual if dual-analog outputs are actually supported. If the GPU can only output a single analog signal, the adapter won't help much. I've never heard of a GPU that doesn't, but some integrated chipsets are wired up incorrectly.

Originally posted by extendon View Post
    I have tried aticonfig --inital=dual-head
    I don't know who's still advocating this, but --initial=dual-head will configure Zaphod mode, which is not what you want most of the time.

Once you ruled out hardware issues, I'd suggest to remove xorg.conf and start fresh with
    > aticonfig --initial

Then use XRandR to configure the outputs.

Comment

Originally posted by rohcQaH View Post
      If you only connect a single monitor to the card via the adapter and unplug the other, you should see the BIOS screen. If you don't, something's wrong with the adapter. Was it included with your board, or did you aquire it separately?
      Thanks
      Acquired it seperately, DVI-D to VGA adaptor. I will try to find another one and see if it works.

I am sure to still need more guidance once the adaptor is sorted, so will report back

Comment

Working...
      X