NVIDIA Says It Has No Plans To Support Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe. I can't be wrong every time.

Don't get me wrong. I know that the Nvidia driver is the only viable one for Linux if your really interested in gaming and high quality and high performance graphics.

I know that the FOSS ones sucked. The Intel one has massively improved and if it was not for the fact that Intel IGPs have shit performance then I would be very happy with them.

But having a Nvidia desktop at home for HTPC and Intel on my laptop I know that the good FOSS drivers have surpassed Nvidia in terms of user friendliness.

I am probably going to get a AMD card in the future though... stuff like Gallium makes me happy.

Comment

Comparing intels FOSS drivers to their blob windows drivers is still a night and day difference in performance. IMO the intel linux drivers still leave a lot to be desired when compared to their window counterparts.

Comment

When you compare DXVA2 Win vs. vaapi Linux the Linux drivers are not that bad. Or say the DXVA2 Win support is not good enough for vlc (did not test other players). But you have to see that you mainly can use vaapi only on relatively fast cpus, when you forget the budget Pentium series the i3-530 has got already 2.93 ghz and could handle most codecs in pure cpu mode too. So even boards without that good accelleration that nvidia currently provides should fast enough for every file. I did not prove that myself, but cpu usage in software mode was really low on my i5-680 which is definitely the fastest dual core with gfx core - there should be a diff between 3.86 ghz (single core turbo boost) vs 2.93 ghz but it should be still fast enough.

Comment

Saying vdpau is all about the desktop user is just silly. AMD is quite happy to tell you that xvba is all about the embedded market. Has Nvidia really decided to cede that entire market without even a fight? I don't believe that for a second. Now it's nice that they've gone the extra step and tried to make it more generally useful, but claiming it has nothing at all to do with embedded just makes me question everything else you're saying

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
            Saying vdpau is all about the desktop user is just silly. AMD is quite happy to tell you that xvba is all about the embedded market. Has Nvidia really decided to cede that entire market without even a fight? I don't believe that for a second. Now it's nice that they've gone the extra step and tried to make it more generally useful, but claiming it has nothing at all to do with embedded just makes me question everything else you're saying
            Nvidias embedded product is Tegra. Tegra does not use vdpau at all. Also show me a AMD embedded product that uses xvba. (Hint: netbooks and nettops are not embedded devices).

Comment

The biggest problem are flash videos with those low speed devices like atom. Those are accellerated with nvidia ion on win but not with linux. Therefor they look as crap with linux. Well when you use xbmc + youtube addon you can use vdpau, but thats not the normal way you would want to watch a clip. It's up to adobe to support vaapi or vdpau (i would go for vaapi as it could be wrapped to vdpau easyly).

Embedded devices can get accelleration via openmax framework directly, i even saw a xbmc branch for that but could not test it due to missing hardware. No idea if mplayer supports openmax too.

Comment

Yeah, stupid Nvidia with their crap Liux support.

Originally posted by NomadDemon View Post
                we have no plans to buy nvidia or other GPU

stupid bussines stuff.. for taking money they are first, for making a new features.. not...

if you will call wayland a DX12... they will be racing to implement...
                If only they provided a video acceleration path for Linux like ALL the other cards manufacturers...

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  The biggest problem are flash videos with those low speed devices like atom. Those are accellerated with nvidia ion on win but not with linux. Therefor they look as crap with linux. Well when you use xbmc + youtube addon you can use vdpau, but thats not the normal way you would want to watch a clip. It's up to adobe to support vaapi or vdpau (i would go for vaapi as it could be wrapped to vdpau easyly).
                  IIRC you can use the mplayer plugin to watch vdpau accelerated Youtube with the greasemonkey scripts or alternatively Gnash since it supports VAAPI.

Comment

I don't believe it matters much. NVIDIA is on its way down as a gpu company. For years it produces mediocre cards. They consume more power, produce more heat, are behind in terms of features like D3D(and OpenGL) hardware support most of the time, they use shady tactics with rebranding hardware, suspicious reviews and "leaks", "The way it's meant to be paid" program, the bumpgate situation etc...

In the past 3 years, i have watched many NVIDIA gpus die, and not even one ATI gpu. It may be just anecdotal, but i don't believe in coincidences.

Plus, while Catalyst is crap, AMD is doing the right thing(tm) in supporting an opensource alternative, unlike NVIDIA.

So, i believe that NVIDIA's lack of support shouldn't be a concern for Linux users with a brain. By the time Wayland in Ubuntu becomes default, AMD opensource drivers should be of good quality. And there always is Intel around too, with a decent gpu in Sandybridge.

There is really no reason for a Linux user(except a few niches) to use dedicated gpus anymore. Seriously, if you have a need for graphically intensive gaming, use Windows. Crippling yourselves with Wine is stupidity.

On die gpus should cover most Linux users needs and i believe Opensource support should be good enough when the time comes.

PS: Those talking about NVIDIA support coming when Wayland is to be adopted, do not know what they are talking about. This is not a simple feature we are talking about. There will need to be major architectural shifts in the driver, in order to support KMS. If a proprietary driver is to be ready for it, it should begin this process *NOW*.

Comment

Well oss drivers do not provide any video accelleration with the partital exception of intel. In your theory all cpus are fast enough to decode it fine and run flash hd videos without a problem. That's just not the case in reality. Of course a 3 ghz dual or faster cpu can do that usually, just not every pc sold is that fast. Especially netbooks/nettops have got serious problems with that.

Comment

Working...
                      X