Clear All

With the 2.6.35 If I do
    export vblank_mode=0
    glxgears
    Then I get the wheels.

So I had
    export vblank_mode=0
    in my home/user/.profile.

But performance still very poor versus the ums.

Comment

How are you measuring performance?

Glxgears numbers don't mean anything, it's just a blit test.

Comment

I'm not measuring performance with glxgears, I'm aware glxgears is not designed to that, I'm just using it as an indicator. I think that if glxgears draw only a black box there is something wrong.

Performance... Yes it not so clear to tell, just when I compare desktop performance: things simple as move an icon take 'time' to be draw (not the case with ums); trying to get simple compiz effect will result in image freeze every 2 seconds (not the case with ums), it is what I call poor performance.

Comment

Now, that's a bit strange, it shouldn't freeze or be slow in general. Here (rv710), everything is smooth, and I've been using KMS exclusively ever since it became viable.

Are you using dynpm by any chance? This sometimes causes short slowdowns and other issues.

Comment

I'm using the profile option, not the dynpm - btw same problem with the 2.6.34 which is not using powerplay.

Comment

You should certainly file a bug, if you haven't already.

Comment

Thanks pingufunkybeat.
                I think I'm gonna dig a little more then if I find nothing I will.

Comment

Solved

SOLVED!!!!!!!!!!!
                  After compiling all git stuff (ddx, mesa, kernel last drm radeon) it was klike before.
                  It was a ???? issue but the answer was a kernel argument:
                  pci=nomsi
                  Perhaps mothercard/BIOS related, mine is asrock 4coredual.

So I revert everything to default, working with every kernel; 2.6.32 till 2.6.36-rc4.
                  No more need of vblank_mode=0 and everything works smoothly with compiz effect.

But I can say that KMS vs UMS brings a major improvement: no more windows tearing. (it was essentially that which was pushing me to try kms).

Thanks to everyone whom take time to answer this thread.

Comment

Please file a bug. Having to pass pci=nomsi is indicative of a kernel bug.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                      Please file a bug. Having to pass pci=nomsi is indicative of a kernel bug.
                      Done.

Comment

Working...
                      X