Linux is not ready for Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kaczu View Post
    Second do you know how many versions of Intel HDA exist? There's tons originally I knew of 3 different versions. Now there's tons more. I have a version of it too and my experience is different then yours which is neither wholly indicative nor wholly inconclusive of how it will function.
    Absolutely there is many variations of HDA and AC97. Do you know how all those variations are handled in other OS's? Hint: It's isn't through middleware. It's handled at the driver level, where it should be.

Comment

• Originally posted by deanjo View Post
      Originally posted by mugginz
      Exactly and where there's brokenness in the hardware driver ALSA's higher level stuff and PA are both royally screwed.
      Changing a drive shaft on a car doesn't fix a blown out tire.
      I will say though that when you've changed the drive shaft and got a new tyre it's nice to have PulseAudio brand air conditioning.

Comment

I did have Pulse disabled in OpenSuse and it was a nightmare. Flash but no Amarok, Amarok but no mplayer. Turning down Amarok turned down everything. The only benefit was that I didn't have to restart PA which was a problem at the time. However, the trade off wasn't worth it for me.
        Really because I tell you what, right now as we speak I have a flash video playing (22.1 kHz stream) , amarok going (44.1 kHz) audio being piped though VLC from my Hauppauge HD PVR (48 kHz AC-3) all without pulse and all on a integrated HDA chipset. Hell I can even adjust the volume on each individual app.

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
          I will say though that when you've changed the drive shaft and got a new tyre it's nice to have PulseAudio brand air conditioning.
          Not needed in a convertible.

Comment

I have tonnes of HDA devices as well working perfectly with plain Alsa. What your talking about is simply impossible as Pulse has no low-level access to the device without going through alsa or oss.
            Great then hop onto the ALSA Project and tell them to take down the page that reads....

Help To Debug Intel HDA

Troubleshooting

[edit] Mixer configuration
            First of all, try fiddling with the mixer settings on alsamixer. Don't forget about:
            Checking all alsamixer tabs using the Tab key
            You can switching mute/unmute using the M key
            On the "Capture" tab, you can change the capture source setting using the spacebar

I guess they provided this information for entertainment for those people who have it working perfectly. Give me a break.

[QUOTE=deanjo;133041

No I'm not, I'm using what a driver actually does. Your confusing the middleware with the driver.[/QUOTE]

Uh no. You actually haven't described the nature of a bad driver and what it's effect will be. You're assuming that every anomaly in ALSA gets directly passed through to PA and is heard or noticed by the end user, and it's effect is the same no matter what. Considering we are talking about two different API's hear the likelihood of that being the case in all situations is virtually nill.

Comment

Not needed in a convertible.
              Unless it's a really hot day

Comment

Really because I tell you what, right now as we speak I have a flash video playing (22.1 kHz stream) , amarok going (44.1 kHz) audio being piped though VLC from my Hauppauge HD PVR (48 kHz AC-3) all without pulse and all on a integrated HDA chipset. Hell I can even adjust the volume on each individual app.
                Good now how about you go out and purchase the other 10 versions of the codec?

Comment

Absolutely there is many variations of HDA and AC97. Do you know how all those variations are handled in other OS's? Hint: It's isn't through middleware. It's handled at the driver level, where it should be.
                  Hint: Alsa handles different versions of the Intel HDA differntly. Or do you think they all get interpreted the same?

Comment

• Originally posted by mugginz View Post
                    Unless it's a really hot day
                    Heh... It's still livable when it's a really hot day if you're driving fast enough.

Comment

Great then hop onto the ALSA Project and tell them to take down the page that reads....

Help To Debug Intel HDA

Troubleshooting

[edit] Mixer configuration
                      First of all, try fiddling with the mixer settings on alsamixer. Don't forget about:
                      Checking all alsamixer tabs using the Tab key
                      You can switching mute/unmute using the M key
                      On the "Capture" tab, you can change the capture source setting using the spacebar

I guess they provided this information for entertainment for those people who have it working perfectly. Give me a break.
                      Again, this is all fixed by using a proper and decent mixer:

Comment

Working...
                      X