Ubuntu needs a new development model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    This one for sure. There are important bugs being open since two months or so. The another thing they should change is a desktop environment. I don't care if Gnome boys will start they talk, but it seems a poor Gnome stays in place and doesn't know where to go. Just compare it to KDE 4.4.x, Win7 or OS X. KDE devs don't need freaking mono, python, vala or java. There's no such fragmentation. Replace gstreamer with VLC, remove PA and Ubuntu can go home.
    I'm a fan of Xfce. It's modular and extensible to a reasonable extent in a way that Gnome and KDE just aren't. It stays out of my way and does it job.

However, Thunar does need a bit of work in terms of features. It supports SMB and SFTP now but they need to expose a few more things to the user.

Comment

I think some things should change not only in the updates front. Let's talk about CDRecord. Now at release 3 it burns CDs, DVDs, BluRays and whatever better than anything, but silly license conflicts keep it off Debian and Fedora.

Honestly, I can accept that Debian and Fedora, two distros that don't include non-free software by default, don't package CDRecord, given all the legal headaches. But what about Ubuntu? Ubuntu packages the NON FREE NVIDIA DRIVERS almost by default. They package NON FREE CATALYST almost by default. And they don't package CDRecord and package instead a crappy clone called wodim, whose frontends are a showoff of hate against CDRecord and haven't been really updated since 2006, about the time of the fork. Is CDRecord worst than non-free software? Have we invented a new category of software (free - let's package it; non-free - let's warn the user, but package it anyways; CDRECORD - that's anathema, it will ensure the Apocalypse and the unmerciful death of all free software, so we don't package it!)?

Comment

If the author of CDRecord wishes for others to use and implement his work, he should put it back under a GPL compatible license.

This essay argues that developers of open source software / Free Software should use an existing widely-used license compatible with the General Public License (GPL). It also argues against FLOSS license proliferation.

Comment

Working...
        X