No announcement yet.

HDMI Audio with fglrx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I installed suse and got the computer to send a test noise to the telly and this worked, to my utter amazement. Then I got the internet and went to the BBC site, but got no sound from there. The only sound that comes through the telly speakers is the suse test sound.

I have been doing Slackware almost since it was invented, and find all the other distros really difficult, I don't know why. So now I am back in Slack and trying to understand Pulse.

That suse test noise is the only sound this computer has sent through the telly speakers since I erased Doze from the disk.

Comment

AFAIK flash doesn't send sound through pulseaudio. Other sources apart from flash and that test tone don't work?

Comment

I tried to play a DVD in xine but suse said no. In Slackware, xine just plays it. This sort of thing really annoys me. I am trying to make the telly speakers work, I don't want to be trying to persuade xine to read the DVD.

Anyway, when I boot suse and do ps -A I do not see any pulse jobs. Does this mean suse does not have pulse running?

Comment

Originally posted by fleebag View Post
          I tried to play a DVD in xine but suse said no.
          Suse out of the box doesn't play DVDs. You need extra packages installed. Try the packman repository.

Anyway, when I boot suse and do ps -A I do not see any pulse jobs. Does this mean suse does not have pulse running?
          That's correct. Pulseaudio is usually not installed in KDE systems. When you install it it'll warn you that it conflicts with a pure-kde4 package, but it is safe to ignore and just uninstall this "pure" package.

Comment

Apparently it is illegal for suse to play DVDs.

Odd, because I can do it with Slackware.

If you are a policeman, don't read the above statement.

Comment

I tried to download a plugin from suse but the DVD still won't play.

Comment

I have now got dvd hdmi sound in Slackware and Mplayer. This is due to fglrx. This is not possible with radeon.

The bad news is that fglrx can't play flash properly, so the BBC website does not work, but all you gurus probably know that already.

So now I guess I must try lightspark or gnash.

I know I will be told off for using fglrx because of no source-code.

I will try radeonhd. Does that make you happy?

Comment

I have now got dvd hdmi sound in Slackware and Mplayer. This is due to fglrx. This is not possible with radeon.
                  Glad to see it's working now
                  The bad news is that fglrx can't play flash properly
                  Why not? What happens?
                  So now I guess I must try lightspark or gnash.
                  Good luck with that. Do you mind posting back if any of those work?
                  I know I will be told off for using fglrx because of no source-code.

I will try radeonhd. Does that make you happy?
                  No. Radeonhd is obsolete. It's development was halted a few months ago since radeon offered the same level of funtionality. It existed only until R600 support was added to radeon.

Comment

Flash freezes and jumps. If you look at the BBC website you think the cpu is not fast enough. It is fine with dvd.

Flash works with radeon, but radeon does not send audio through hdmi.

So I can put a dvd in the computer and watch it on the telly, but if I want to watch the telly I have to watch it on the computer, if you know what I mean.

Comment

I got gnash to install, eventually. In firefox I did "aboutlugins" and it looked okay. BBC website gave me the sign saying I need to install the flash player. I tried the gnash stand-alone player but got an error message. I tried Lightspark and I can't remember why that did not work. Without hope I went to the Adobe site. They have released a new flash plugin. This plays video properly with fglrx.

Guess what? Still no hdmi audio.

Without hope, I am about to try oss from 4front.

Comment

Working...
                      X