New laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laptop

Getting a new laptop in the next few days and it will have the Ati mobility radeon 5470 in it. Do the open source drivers support that yet?

Thanks,
    Eric

Only unaccelerated at the moment. Not even 2D is accelerated.

Comment

My only real concerns at least until the closed source version starts working on xorg 1.7 is web surfing and some youtube type stuff. Will that work without acceleration? If so, i'm good.

Comment

regular desktop use is fine. It's only stuff like 3d and video that are slow without accel for the most part.

Comment

power management

assume there is still no power management for evergreen, just the older cards? Noticed that while the open source driver can play flash videos just fine on the new 5470 card, the fan runs constantly on the laptop. Installed the fglrx driver and dead silent.

Comment

yeah, welcome to the world, bro. Getting a radeon laptop with newish graphics card means no 3d, no 2d accel, no xvideo, no power management. It means it will run dead slow and drain your battery like there is no tomorrow.

Best way is to use Windows and put Linux under a VM, then prey Linux driver will be in good shape in a year or two. Trust me, that's the only way out.

Comment

Think of it that way: this is no reaons to buy a new radeon laptop because you can never use it. And when you finally can it is long gone obsolete piece of grandma gear. You should have bought an Intel integrated graphics at least it keeps your battery going, which is the number one reason for a laptop, then it has basic 3D and good x-Video support so at least it is USEFUL.

Comment

im pretty happy with my dell studio (hd4570) and i bought it last september.
                though I'm using fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by esheesle View Post
                  Getting a new laptop in the next few days and it will have the Ati mobility radeon 5470 in it. Do the open source drivers support that yet?

Thanks,
                  Eric
                  Unfortunately, no, but you can use fglrx until radeon matures a bit. It works fairly well, all things considered.

Comment

Fglrx works well for me too.

Comment

Working...
                    X