XBMC Gains Crystal HD 1080p Decoding Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
    Right. However chip design starts years in advance of the release so lots of this stuff was started years ago. We are attempting to make future hardware friendlier to open source, but it may take a while to actually see the results.
    So am I right in assuming that means 3-5 years minimum?

Comment

I really understand why ATI cant release specs for the UVD part, at least for now, but it would have been really nice to get a decent H.264 decoding with the fglrx, and in the best case via VDPAU.

Annyways, not does it matter but the fact Ati released the specs, was a reason for me to become Ati customer again, alltough fglrx is still behind Nvidias binary Linux driver in some aspects.

Well this broadcomm chip could be nice when low power consumption is needed, or maybe to give an old PC HTPC qualitys, but every modern,semi modern Desktop-PC doesnt have that much trouble in decoding the diffrent HD Codecs, even if most stuff has to be done by the CPU.

Gr??e

Comment

Originally posted by dosenpfand View Post
        I really understand why ATI cant release specs for the UVD part, at least for now, but it would have been really nice to get a decent H.264 decoding with the fglrx, and in the best case via VDPAU.
        fglrx supports UVD via VA-API.

Comment

fglrx supports UVD via VA-API.
          Yes i know , i was talking about a "decent" support, i mean that it should be at least as good as "Pure Video" and VDPAU, actually

But ok i know that Linux isnt the "target market" and its nice that Ati pays some people for developing a decent FLOSS driver.

Nevertheless i?ll keep my fingers cross for VDPAU in fglrx :-)

Gr??e
          Last edited by dosenpfand; 13 January 2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dosenpfand View Post
            Nevertheless i?ll keep my fingers cross for VDPAU in fglrx :-)
            That won't change anything. Use the VAAPI driver, that's the best solution you can get so far and for the time being...

Comment

How is Intel's open decoding solution any different from AMD's open decoding solution? Both use shaders. And if you you are using the broadcom for decoding, then it doesn't matter whose GPU you use, so why would Intel be any better choice than AMD? The AMD chip would give you better 3D in addition.
              But the Intel setup is more likely to provide battery life long enough to watch the entire video.

Comment

Working...
              X