Xinerama and Compositted Desktops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xinerama and Compositted Desktops

I'm in the process of trying to set up a dual card, triple head nVidia based system on Karmic Koala.

So, after being unable to get a 7600GT and 9800GT to play nice together when Xinerama is enabled, I borrowed a 9600GT to go into the mix. Now I can get three screens in one single desktop, but....

When Xinerama is active, compositing goes away.

There's been a bit of discussion about this, but not anything in the way of a good solution. I'm wondering if the problem is with the nVidia drivers, (I'm using 190.42), or with Xorg itself.

Until ATI's drivers settle down, and I get my hands on an Eyefinity card, I'm stuck with the nVidia cards. On one card, with dual-head, nVidia is awesome, and the best solution available, but when you introduce a second card, things seem to turn to sh_t.

So, after testing the setup in Vista, just to QA the hardware, I'm now back to trying to coax Linux into giving me what I want. I've been lead to believe that I can have a dual card, composited desktop if I install xserver-xgl (which doesn't seem to be in the stock repos), but it supposedly produces sub-optimal results.

Anyone out there with a triple head system in a satisfactory way? Any help would be gratefully recieved.

multiple GPUs on linux are a pain, unfortunately. The Matrox TripleHead2Go products (basically a DVI splitter) are your best bet right now.

nvidia claims that the Xinerama+composite problems are Xorg's fault, but who knows for sure?

I've tried XGL a long time ago, it didn't even work with dual-screen mode. If you really wish to try, do, but it's an unfinished, unmaintained heap of bugs.

Comment

After following d2globalinc's reecipe for using xserver-xgl http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=884161, I've managed to get a composited desktop across GPU's via Compiz.

Wasn't able to get KWin happening (but didn't try very hard).

KDE panels are slightly unhappy but with a bit of work hopefully it's fixable.

A summary of what to do to get Kubuntu Karmic doing compositing with Xinerama can be found here ->
      http://mugginix.com/articles/2009/No...omposite_Fail/

Edit: Added URL
      Last edited by mugginz; 12 November 2009, 06:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X