Dell To Ship Ubuntu Moblin Remix Netbooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amaranth View Post
    That's kind of the point. They're not marketing netbooks as mini-PCs, they're marketing them as toys you use to get on the web.
    My mini-9 is vastly more powerful computer then anything I ever had when I started using Linux. The SSD drive is rugged and I could drop it off a cliff and not worry about any data loss. The system is also dead quiet, no fans, no moving parts, no humming, buzzing, or anything like that. The battery life is decent, its cheap and after I replaced the broadcom wifi with Atheros it can latch onto distant wifi points that other laptops can't even see.

I use it for reading documentation, writing documentation, hacking hardware, hacking software, and engaging correspondence with my boss and other employees. Having a high degree of Windows networking and Office compatibility is a absolute requirement. I work in various different places in two buildings on a corporate campus, I also travel which requires spending quite a bit of time in airports and in rental cars. I can tether my phone to it easily and connect to 3G networks and I can use it with my bluetooth headset and use it's webcam to do VoIP and all that happy stuff.

Yep.

Having a working system that is easy to accomplish tasks and install software is a toy alright.

Comment

Sure it's possible to make the most of a netbook in that way, but you have to realise that you are the exception. I personally use mine in much the same way you use yours, but most netbook owners I know don't. This type of simple to use environment is perfect for those folks.

Comment

Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the Poulsbo driver?

I mean, it's one of the worst supported GPUs out there, the driver is widely known to be crap and will not be supported by default in Ubuntu Karmic and yet here we have the 3 companies that could sort out the mess (Intel, Dell and Canonical) working together ... are they doing so?

Seems funny that the netbook they are designing this for has a GPU that is poorly supported under Linux. If the GPU had released specs, I'd buy two of those netbooks tomorrow. Seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Kazade View Post
          Seems funny that the netbook they are designing this for has a GPU that is poorly supported under Linux.

The Mini 10v comes with Intel (945) graphics not PowerVR.

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post
            The Mini 10v comes with Intel (945) graphics not PowerVR.
            Really?! I was sure it came with the GMA 500... in that case I'm gonna head over to the Dell website now

Comment

@drag:
              sorry that I mixed up the specification with the reference implementation. my mistake, though I hope you understand it's an easy one to make for non-developers.

Comment

Working...
              X