No announcement yet.

Display corruption when changine resolutions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried any of the 2.6.34-rc kernels? There are some rs4xx fixes that went in that may help.

Comment

No, but i'll certainly give that a try today. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post
        It's been a few more months, and no change for the better. I get the same result as my last post with the Lucid RC and Fedora 13.

I've been using Karmic for the last few months and just never changing the resolution, but now the display goes corrupt on bootup with lucid. It's definitely something to do with the laptop display panel not accepting the resolution or refresh rate it's being fed.
        I can start up my computer now If I plug in an old CRT monitor i've got laying around, and then switch the laptop LCD on and off a few times. Then it'll eventually pop up with a good picture.

As said, i've always had this problem with the open source drivers. I think it's not necessarily related to the drivers themselves, but rather to randr. I honestly don't know, and i'm at the end of my rope as far as this laptop goes. Anyone have any suggestions?
        well i have a laptop with almost the same hardware that yours but toshiba and every OSS driver version i tried works perfectly, so for sure is a local hardware issue (probably some famous dell chinese/taiwaness 5$ lcd screen wich give a weird or bugged edid info)

my advise is to try setting the resolution and monitor info forced in your xorg.conf, so your wrong crappy edid info dont trigger anymore throung xrandr

here are some guy example of edid inside xorg.conf
        Carbon60 is Canada’s preeminent cloud adoption, migration and managed cloud services provider. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, VMWare, SOC2 and PCI compliance.

better solution, dont buy more dell laptops, they are famous for have crappy hardware, at least in the cheap models, at least in my case(well i can have bad luck cuz all my three cheap dells laptop always got some sick issue here and there)

Comment

agd5f, I tried a few of the .34-rc kernels. Actually, they do allow the system to boot up into the native 1280x800 resolution without corruption. Unfortunately this laptop is "blessed" with a broadcom wireless adapter, who's module I can't get to build under .34.
          The new kernel still doesn't fix the corruption under resolution changes though, so it's not worth the trouble to keep dicking around with the wireless.

I think you're right, jrch2k8. It's a piece of crap laptop, but it's gotten me 3 years through college so far. I changed the CPU and upgraded the memory last year, or else I would have probably bought a new one.

It's been about a year since I did any messing around with xorg. I'll try a bit more with the modes. My attempts yesterday failed.

Comment

Well after dicking around with installing and removing different Kernels, the system now boots up fine with the stock Lucid Kernel, .32. I'm running with no xorg, like stock. It's the craziest thing, and I have no idea what fixed it.

The screen still goes corrupt when changing resolutions though, but i'm satisfied to at least be able to use the system again.

Comment

Well I spoke too soon. It's back to the way it was. I don't know what's up with this laptop, but i'm leaning farther towards flakey hardware. It's just kind of depressing that it works fine with the proprietary driver on Windows.

Comment

I have the same hardware and almost the same kind of corruption. But it's made of horizontal black and white lines when KMS starts.

It works fine when X sets DPMS off and then back on, though.

agd5f helped me with some patches, but we couldn't get make it work right yet. See https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=27008

Comment

Working...
                X