AMD Catalyst 9.5 Driver For Linux Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kano View Post
    If you can live with errors in dmesg there is a hotfix for 2.6.29.
    Well, if it is only an error message without something serious behind it, of course it's not beautiful but I might give it a try. Where can it be obtained?
    Or wait for the free drivers to gain 3d acceleration on the newer chips. I mean I'm used to wait for all sorts of things so...

I wonder why these release notes have a big "draft" in background and why there is said nearly nothing in them. But maybe I should fire up my akregator and see if something is in the RSS feed.
    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by grgoffe View Post
      Howdy,

Thanks for the responses. Where do I get the 9.5 driver? When I go to ati.amd.com and when I poke the "graphic drivers" link, I get a 3 element form. I select "linux" then "firegl" and then "firegl 5200" and get this file from the resulting "download". firepro_8.583_linux_77161.zip.

I install this and reboot and now get the "unsupported hardware" watermark on the screen.

George...
      wget https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206...x86.x86_64.run
      ?

but since the 5200 is based on R500 and the support for them had been dropped, 9.5 is not for you.

Comment

Energyman,

Thank you for your response.

The version I get from their web site is that zip file I mentioned above. Either I goofed the install or it's broken. I usually save the install materials for software I install but in this case I did not. Is there an archive site somewhere?

Regards,

George...

Comment

Does anyone know if 9-5 still requires libdrm2 v 2.3.x debian like the previous ones, or does it support the new libdrm 2.4?

Comment

Originally posted by gfxdrone View Post
            Does anyone know if 9-5 still requires libdrm2 v 2.3.x debian like the previous ones, or does it support the new libdrm 2.4?
            I'm on libdrm 2.4.11 and never had problems, even with previous Catalyst releases.

Comment

Well you have problems when you use Xserver 1.4 and not 1.5+.

Comment

Originally posted by gfxdrone View Post
                2.4.11 here too and X server 1.6.1, no problem driver works properly with the common well known bugs

P.S: Well I finally found something new in the 9.5 catalyst!
                Screen turns off correctly now when you set it from KDE's settings for powersave

Comment

Maybe you did not understand me, when you use Xserver 1.4 then the fglrx driver is a differnt one than which is installed when you have got 1.5/1.6. And when you update libdrm on that config you run into troubles.

Comment

I got your point Kano from the first place.
                    I just wanted to reply to our friend and mention my great bugfix discovery!

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                      sad? why? Windows users make up 90+ of amd/ati costumers. So it is the right choice to support them as good as possible. Also Windows is a lot easier to support. There is only ONE Windows 7rc, One Vista, One Xp. Not 100+ different distributions all with different kernels, Xorg, Xfree, libc, mesa, compiler...
                      Since Catalyst 9.5 still gives me a black screen but other gentoo users say 9.5 runs fine, I do think maybe my system have some package different than others. So I agree your saying, supporting Linux is tough...

Can ATI post recommended package version list for each driver in the future so that we have a better chance to avoid troubles?

Comment

Working...
                      X