World of Goo Official Realese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mibo View Post
    I downloaded and installed (rpm -Uhv) the WOG demo today.

First I could not start the program because of missing libGLU. After installing the mesa32Bit package from suse the demo can be started and played, BUT it is slow, lagging and sometimes the sound stutters.
    I assume that WOG uses the mesa32Bit libs and not the accelerated ATI libs. How can I tell WOG to use the ATI ones? Just reinstall catalyst 9.1?

Any idea?

Cheers
    mibo

Edit: My hardware should be able to run WOG stutter-free:
    X3350 quad core
    4GB ram
    ATI 3850 with 512MB
    A reinstall of the catalyst 9.1 after that mesa32Bit installation seems to have done the trick. Now it runs smooth - and I spent $20 :-) nice game

Comment

Originally posted by yotambien View Post
      From the game website:

"More copies of the game were sold via our website on the day the Linux version released than any other day. This day beat the previous record by 40%. There is a market for Linux games after all "
      These are freakin' good news! And the game really deserves it.

Goo for it!

Comment

Great game and *great* news. They've just gained another customer, here

Comment

I just tried the demo. This is indeed a nice game. Somehow I was under the impression this is some lame flash-like thing, but I was wrong. It's very well made

Comment

As RealNC put it, when I saw it some time back in steam, I thought it was yet another sloppy flash game. But last few days after seeing a lot of reviews, I was impressed by *everything* about this game - concept, physics engine, graphics, gameplay, simplicity, music - and it doesn't end there - linux and drm-free . Though I am a great fan of steam and I bought it directly. I bought this game though right away, though my gaming budget was dented with Burnout Paradise - which is also a great game (great graphics, gameplay, fast and not just ported from console, and some steps towards drm-free, but almost an epic fail in that regard, as it doesn't even have steam support - thank you electronic arts).
            Anyway, back to WorldOfGoo - the game reminds me of another cute puzzle game, infact almost a remake of, Pingus (lemmings?). Also addictive like Frozen-bubble.
            Speaking of performance, this game actually slaps back at my newly purchased Asus G50Vt notebook with nvidia 9800m gs and intel core2 p8700.
            PS : Shame on Spore and EA and the hype.

Comment

When you buy it with steam you get a Linux executeable?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                When you buy it with steam you get a Linux executeable?
                In a word, no. You need to buy it from their own download site right at the moment if you're a Linux user.

The other nifty number that one should take away from this is that they're estimating that 90% of the people playing the Windows version are pirating it off of the figures they got. But they think DRM is a waste of time, especially because of those numbers. It's the same result as another indie studio that produced a similarly cool casual game- and the other studio slapped a batch of pretty "tough to break" (heh...) DRM on their title.

Comment

The only copy protection ever that was effective was early StarForce versions. And we all know how well *that* one went soon after...

Comment

Thanks for clarifying Svartalf, I was wondering the same - that how to get the linux binary if you buy it from steam. Perhaps one still gets the confirmation email containing the *secret* links to the binaries even if they bought from steam?

That said, correct me if I am wrong, as I see it, this game is absolutely drm-free : you get the binary, you are done. No key no whatever. It is upto the buyer to honestly stick to the eula.

Aside, I wonder why they had to take the pain of hosting 3 binaries for linux - rpm, deb, and tgz. (I guess hosting is nothing compared to porting.) Me using tgz, though I primarily run Ubuntu . Also, I was pleasantly surprised to see gentoo ebuilds available browsing through the home page of gentoo - like great old times.

Comment

Originally posted by hdas View Post

That said, correct me if I am wrong, as I see it, this game is absolutely drm-free : you get the binary, you are done. No key no whatever. It is upto the buyer to honestly stick to the eula.
                      You're right, you buy the game on their website and then you have access to your download page with the links for Windows Mac and Linux. No key or online activation.

Comment

Working...
                      X