No announcement yet.

Catalyst 9.1 is out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems that this new version requires PCI_MSI enabled in the kernel which it did not do before.

9.1 now fails to load completely on slackware's stock kernels with the error:
    Code:
    kernel: fglrx: Unknown symbol pci_disable_msi
    kernel: fglrx: Unknown symbol pci_enable_msi
    Ah well

Comment

Originally posted by ArTourter View Post
      Seems that this new version requires PCI_MSI enabled in the kernel which it did not do before.

9.1 now fails to load completely on slackware's stock kernels with the error:
      Code:
      kernel: fglrx: Unknown symbol pci_disable_msi
      kernel: fglrx: Unknown symbol pci_enable_msi
      Ah well
      Yes. Same problem here trying to install 9.1 in Slackware 12.1. I had to rebuild the kernel with PCI_MSI enabled. Anyway, it didn't hurt and 9.1 is running smooth now. No complains yet.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
        If you want a supported distri
        If i want supported distro i chose nvidia. They haven't got problems with supporting such crapfest (as you call it) like Fedora.

Comment

Things that still annoy me with 9.1:
          - Still can't create a second instance of the X server
          - with earlier releases (since something about 8.6) the Compiz blur effect didn't work like it should. That's at least partly fixed now, it just doesn't do anything now... :-/
          - Warcraft 3 had a slowdown of 50% with 9.1, ran with 50 fps under 8.12, now only 25 fps
          - No KMS or DRI2 support

Comment

because nvidia traditionally replace much more than others with their own stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoBrain View Post
              - Still can't create a second instance of the X server
              Yes, that one is really annoying when you have more than one user on the computer. I don't want to log off just because my wife want to check her email or do something else with her account.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                angus77, does your system use AGP or PCIE bus ?
                I'm pretty sure it's PCI, but my wife has been hogging the last couple days, so I haven't had the chance to pop it open and double-check. It's a Japanese Dell Inspiron 531S, and googling around seems to indicate that the American version doesn't support AGP.

Comment

angus77, lspci - as root - or dmidecode should give you the information needed without the need to open it up.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
                    angus77, lspci - as root - or dmidecode should give you the information needed without the need to open it up.
                    I'll get on it when my wife gets off the desktop

Comment

Or, rather, I'll ssh into it and find out

It's PCIE.

Comment

Working...
                      X