No announcement yet.

Ive about had it with AT "bloody" I

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks to all for your help, this gives me an idea of what i should do.

when I tried kde 4 it was the first that came out with suse, and all I got was flicker, perhaps 4.2 is better now. My other concern was that with each release of an ATI driver, the card seems to slow down, glxgears and fgl_glxgears drop dramatically, to the point where i am now at 190 for 3d and 350 for 2d, comming from earlier releases of 500 for 3d and 2000 for 2d.

Now, Im not a techo and I am assuming that glxgears shows 2d and fgl_glxgears shows 3d, if it doesen't well tough, these are still the figures and they are not very good.

ATI is great for windows, but not linux, and as long as they keep using those dribbling retards to code the drivers, it will never be.

regards
    mario

Comment

Actually if you read my other thread, I'm whining also about ATI not being great on Windows either :P AMD must get their act together. I have an ATI (4870) and unfortunately, I recommend NVidia for both Windows as well as Linux even if they're not open source friendly. They "just work".

Comment

no, they don't.
        a) videos lie
        b) on OLD hardware like 6XXX or 7XXX 2d was ok - and compiz bearable.
        But until late in 2008 2d on NIVIDA 8XXX and 9XXX series hardware was unusable slow. A pure suckfest. And compiz? POS nothing else to add.

Comment

I beg to differ, currently, I have both, NVIDIA AND ATI machines working at the Lab and I can assure you, the AMD machine (Radeon HD4870X2) is working wonderful on Windows Vista, not so the NVIDIA machine where I detected a couple of serious bugs (I'm using the GTX295 as I write).

Actually, I prefer Linux on NVIDIA and Windows on ATI.

Comment

My ATI HD3650 is astonishing fast ind kde4 (My nvidia weren't). But yes, Im running without compositing. Will turn it on when video on compositing is better. But its close! 2009 will be the year when fglrx no longer sucks.

Acutally Im sure of that. With the 9.1 I am able to play source games in wine, WITH directx9+ highest setting (not with HDR and antialising though).

Ati suck? I don't think so. Just wait a couple of month, and I think the last bugs have been adressed.

PLZ try kde4 without compositing with fglrx. Ill tell you. Its as fast as in windows.

Comment

I actually have BOTH cards, so I pretty much expect it to NOT suck because I love both tecnologies (GT200 and RV770) so, time will tell.

Definetly with the new Xserver and DRI2 ATI will be more usable and far more pleasant than it is now.

Comment

Well I don't care about desktop bling but I have to admit, my 2D performance of KDE4.1.3 on my 4670 is very? bad!
                But that seems to be a fglrx R7xx issue if I look on that flrx/radeonhd comparison.

Comment

Just bloody typical isn't it, just as you make up your mind to get an NVIDIA card, ATI bring out a driver (9.1) that seems to work reasonably well.

I'm a little apprehensive now about changing cards given that NVIDIA may not be as solid as I first thought. Fundamentally I am still an OPEN-SOURCE lover and prefer to go that way, and NVIDIA still hasn't come to the party.

I have been looking around for NVIDIA cards anything from 9x00 to 8x00 just to give it a try and have been suitably impressed as to how well they are holding their prices, I wonder if ATI cards will go the same way.

NVIDIA were pushed into a corner by ATI and were caught with their pants down when ATI released their new range of video cards. In response to this NVIDIA cut prices and began releasing drivers for LINUX more regularly, along with bringing out new features. Very impressive as their driver release seemed to be more stable that ATI, given the speed with which they released. But the talk is now that NVIDIA will go broke. Any opinions on this??

regards
                  muzza

Comment

Originally posted by mdraicch View Post
                    But the talk is now that NVIDIA will go broke. Any opinions on this??

regards
                    muzza
                    Very doubtful. Not sure where your hearing that talk from but Nvidia can weather out this global crash more easily then AMD. Forbes list nv at moderate buy or hold vs ATI's moderate sell or hold.

Comment

Originally posted by mdraicch View Post
                      Just bloody typical isn't it, just as you make up your mind to get an NVIDIA card, ATI bring out a driver (9.1) that seems to work reasonably well.
                      The thing is though, you never know what a new catalyst release will bring.

As good as 9.1 was, and it was OK... nothing compared to NVidia's releases, 9.2 is a complete suckfest. Or at least, it's a complete suckfest for me.

Crashes starting X, playback of XV video will still lock the computer if I switch it to fullscreen, crashes when I switch to a VT.

I've never seen NVidia drivers regress. But that's just me.

Comment

Working...
                      X