looks like Catalyst 9.2beta leaked.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by energyman View Post
    a nvidia using friend of mine really loves the nvidia drivers! With them the text in some kde menus (like the one to add plasmoids) is white on white - whatever he does to change that, it does not help .... he is using nouveau now ...
    I don't see how this relates to the original topic, it seems the old phenomena - people defending their hardware
    I don't even use a NVidia GPU, the only one I have is a GF6600 I plug in sometimes to test my software on.

As I said I am not a fanboy of anyone and I am not interested in a flame, I also explicitly said their drivers *do* have problems, but so do the ATI drivers...

the radeon driver has pretty solid EXA/ Render support.
    Yes the readeon driver does pretty well for RENDER, but only for R500 and below. There's no accaleration code for R600 and up, released in early 2007.

- Clemens
    Last edited by Linuxhippy; 10 January 2009, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Installed these drivers:

1. no - or very slight - improvement to compiz

2. aticonfig --odgc returns "ERROR - Could not find library: libatiadlxx.so"

Haven't tried video playback yet.

Maybe amd should consider a public beta program?

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Then his card must be really old. Most fixes are for GF8+. Older drivers got last update over 6 month ago. Ok, compared to fglrx which supports (in theory) all DX8+ cards you get more updates for fglrx.
        Nah, DX8 cards have been abandoned long ago. The last fglrx supporting them was even before the "Catalyst for Linux" appeared; last release for them was fglrx 8.28.8. Everything after that was DX9+ only (Radeon 9500 and above).

Comment

Right, they are DX9, but not the fastest ones So basically only GF5 series has lower status from the DX9 NV cards then.

Comment

Originally posted by energyman View Post
            are you sure you installed it correctly?
            Yes.

The problem is the first screen "login screen" appear with lots lots lots pixels of lots lots colors. You can't read anything.

Comment

btw, friend just told me that composite with the latest stable nvidia is still broken. If you try to 'pull' marked text in ff, composite is switched off. The good news - the same happens with ati. So both are broken.

Comment

Well I personally don't need composite. I prefer using vdpau without tearing. Desktop 3d effects are nice to show some V user that Linux can handle more 3d then V, but for everyday use nobody really needs it. U enables it by default and uses only minimal effects, you would hardy see a difference when it is out anyway.

Comment

Well I personally don't need composite. I prefer using vdpau without tearing. Desktop 3d effects are nice to show some V user that Linux can handle more 3d then V, but for everyday use nobody really needs it. U enables it by default and uses only minimal effects, you would hardy see a difference when it is out anyway.
                  Well, I need it for everyday use. I run Ubuntu on an HTPC and a 720P plasma screen. When I am using that computer and browsing the web from 10 feet away, text is unreadable. I use the 'zoom' feature of compiz to make the text of the article I am reading large enough to fill the screen. I do this reading Phoronix forums ALL THE TIME. (Although I am using an XP desktop at the moment). I also use it to zoom in on undersized video clips in web pages and make them as big as I want. Everybody's individual use case is different.

I've read a lot of your posts on Phoronix and I respect your knowledge of Linux. It is far greater than mine, but I am just getting sick of reading people state that composite desktop features have to value, just because they don't use it.

Comment

Maybe you don't know that FF has like all common web browsers a built-in function to resize text when you hold ctrl + use mouse wheel?

Comment

Maybe you don't know that FF has like all common web browsers a built-in function to resize text when you hold ctrl + use mouse wheel?
                      I personally prefer CTRL + "+", I hate to take my hands off the keyboard, but good trick anyway.

\/

Comment

Working...
                      X