No announcement yet.

Testing latest -intel in Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have uploaded xserver 1.6 beta 2 (1.5.99.2) to the PPA. It has DRI2 enabled and whatnot. As can be seen on the PPA page (which you have to check before you install anything from the PPA, every time) the new xserver needs rebuilt drivers. For now I uploaded -intel 2.5.1. It's older than the "2.4.97" that was there before, but having one "known-good" version can make sense at this point.

Anyway, xserver 1.6 should arrive officially in Jaunty next week...

Comment

Currently i'm on Intrepid.

Under
      https://edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s.../+build/804746 I see huge list of binaries. Is it enough to install only these 2:

btw, it there a way to install 2.6.28 kernel via PPA ?
      if not, when it'll be possible?

Comment

Originally posted by sezal View Post
        btw, it there a way to install 2.6.28 kernel via PPA ?
        if not, when it'll be possible?
        These kernels are in the main jaunty repository. You can add jaunty lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list and only upgrade the kernel, then remove the jaunty lines. But get yourself a jaunty partition instead.

Comment

Originally posted by tormod View Post
          These kernels are in the main jaunty repository. You can add jaunty lines to your /etc/apt/sources.list and only upgrade the kernel, then remove the jaunty lines. But get yourself a jaunty partition instead.
          You can also use /etc/apt/preferences to make the jaunty versions of things not be preferred to the Intrepid versions:

Code:
          Package: *
          Pin: release a=jaunty
          Pin-Priority: 400
          read apt_preferences(5)
          Anyone reading this who's still confused/lost should probably not do this...

apt-cache policy shows what apt thinks about the various Packages files it has, and what the Release files say about them.

Big warning: Ubuntu, unlike Debian, doesn't support mixed versions. e.g. I once reported that Edgy testing's libc6 broke Dapper's gcc, so they should add a versioned Conflicts: dependency. The answer was: don't mix versions; we're not going to do anything about it.

BTW, Jaunty's 2.6.28-2-generic broke NFS (client and server) on my machine. I'm going to boot to my Jaunty chroot and see if it works again with updated user-space.

Comment

I have uploaded 2:2.5.97.0~git20081208+xf86-video-intel-2.6-branch.6ca0d7e6-0ubuntu0tormod2 (no less!) to the PPA. This is the WIP of what will be the 2.6 version. It should have DRI2, and probably a lot of bugs, since this is unreleased stuff.

Comment

Hello !

Well, I've installed the 2.6.28-rc7 kernel using KernelCheck, and the packages from the xorg-edgers repository ( but, I don't know exactly which packages to upgrade, so I selected only the xorg server and the intel drivers ), but, I can't move the cursor with my touchpad, and my keyboard was in QWERTY, so, I've reinstalled totally Ubuntu 8.10 ( it takes only 30min, it's better than spending hours to find the source of the problem ) .

Actually, I've only installed the new kernel, but for the xorg packages, can someone here give me the exact names of the packages I need to upgrade on my Acer Aspire 2920Z notebook ( Synaptics Touchpad ) ?

Thanks !

PS : sorry for my bad English, used some Google traduction .

Comment

Hi all,
                I compiled and got drm-modules-2.6.28-2-ub-generic

Upgraded everything and rebooted. I get the login screen this time around but can't use the mouse and it sorta hangs. The Xorg.0.log from the session is at http://pastebin.com/m408dd439 . Don't see any way to attach the same here.

Comment

Hi all,
                  Looking at the output generated from /var/log/Xorg.0.log the starting lines were interesting

Code:
                  (II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
                  (II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
                  (II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
                  	If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput
                  Googled up the last keyword "AllowEmptyInput" and hit with one of the first few results of ubuntuforums.

My mouse and keyboard are not working in X. In the beginning of the var/log/Xorg.0.log file which I have copied here it says: "(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device. (II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device. (II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices. If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput." I do not know how to reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput. Can any of the Ubuntu experts out there tell me how or point me to

There one of the posters asks for the output of

hal-device and ls /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/

For hal-device I get this output

Code:
                  hal-device

error: dbus_bus_get: org.freedesktop.DBUS.
                  Error: FileNotFound: Failed to connect to socket
                  /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket:
                  No such file or directory.
                  The only way to get this ouput was to boot into single-user mode and get it.

While this is the output I get from Intrepid Ibex.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

(Its quite long 2057 lines)

The ls /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/ however is good.

Pastebin.com is the number one paste tool since 2002. Pastebin is a website where you can store text online for a set period of time.

The only difference of the output given in 10osvendor between the one
                  on Jaunty given above and Ibex is Jaunty has entries on ntfs-3g while
                  this doesn't.

Code:
                  $ ls /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/
                  10-cpufreq.fdi
                  10-dell-laptop-brightness.fdi
                  10-dockstation.fdi
                  10-fuse-permissions.fdi
                  10-hal_lpadmin.fdi
                  10-imac-backlight.fdi
                  10-input-policy.fdi
                  10-keymap.fdi
                  10-laptop-panel-mgmt-policy.fdi
                  10-macbook-backlight.fdi
                  10-macbookpro-utils.fdi
                  10-power-mgmt-policy.fdi
                  10-rfkill-switch.fdi
                  10-smartcardreaders.fdi
                  10-tabletPCs.fdi
                  10-usbcsr-mice.fdi
                  10-x11-input.fdi
                  10-x11-keymap.fdi
                  11-x11-vmmouse.fdi
                  15-storage-luks.fdi
                  20-acl-management.fdi
                  20-storage-methods.fdi
                  30-wol.fdi
                  debian-storage-policy-ignore-fixed-crypto-drives.fdi
                  Looking forward for suggestions and directions on the same.

Comment

When installing the xorg-edgers xserver 1.6 beta package:
                    For the moment it is important to install ("downgrade" to) the -evdev and -synaptics from the PPA, not the ones from the main archive which are built for the old xserver.

Comment

Could someone test a 3D intensive application to check for the presence of bug #120834? On machines with intel 965 cards, lockups have always occurred when running applications that use a lot of 3D.

edit: heres bug #120834. https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ha...sa/+bug/120834
                      It has been open for almost 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                      X