Testing latest -intel in Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
    You guys don't seem to be terribly helpful.
    You don't seem to be terribly patient http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

What was the last version where it did not hang? Upgrade one component at a time to narrow down what breaks.

Comment

• Originally posted by garytr24 View Post
      You guys don't seem to be terribly helpful. Is this the wrong place for this kind of inquiry? Where is the right one? I've asked a testing driver related question before and gotten ignored as well.

Using xorg-edgers repo, ubuntu kernel 2.6.30-8 x86_64 on x4500mhd
      I wasn't aware providing the lastest code from upstream in our free time turned us into tech support for the code (on an unrelated forum no less) If you have a problem with it that you can't be any less vague about there is always the option of using the actual supported drivers and kernel from ubuntu and using the automated data collection tools to report a bug to them which will provide them with enough info to possibly help fix your problem. If you want to report a bug with the edgers drivers there is a guide here

Comment

• well, let me try to figure out when it broke, anyway to backtrack packages in the xorg-edgers repo? I don't hold you guys responsible, I just assumed 'testing latest -intel in ubuntu' meant for this sort of thing, because that's what I'm trying to do.

Not asking for tech support, except I'm giving feedback on updates. b/c I assume developers care about that. Of course, I can go back to edgy eft if I want to, but i wanted to test the latest.

Comment

• Sorry, I guess I should have been more explicit what I was expecting from you guys. I was hoping to hear like a "works for me on a gm965" or "yea, i have that problem too". I appreciate the packaging effort for ubuntu, and I'm testing the latest assuming there's a community of intel users that want it to improve, and hoping I can provide some feedback to interested parties to make it work better on my chip. This thread seems more appropriate than a launchpad bug. I've been using Tormod's and Sarvatt's packages for a while now, thanks for making them.

I apologize for being rude earlier. Is the freedesktop.org bug tracker the best place for git testing issues? I also subscribe to the intel-gfx mailing list and can send to it, but I don't like to bug developers with things they may already know, and that list seems more intended for introduction of new features and code review.

Comment

• No problem, this is in fact the best place to give feedback on the packages. However do not expect that someone with the same card as you jumps in the same day to reply.

If you have collected enough information, you can file a bug on bugs.freedesktop.org. But that means you have to be a lot more specific than "my X crashes", see http://intellinuxgraphics.org/how_to_report_bug.html

Although launchpad normally is for official Ubuntu packages only, bugs on xorg-edgers packages are welcome too, if you clearly mark them so in the bug title. For filing bugs in launchpad, always use the command "ubuntu-bug xserver-xorg-video-intel" since this will attach vital information to your report. Then Ubuntu bug triagers can help you further in debugging the issue until the report is ready to be forwarded upstream.

Comment

• Originally posted by tormod View Post
              No problem, this is in fact the best place to give feedback on the packages. However do not expect that someone with the same card as you jumps in the same day to reply.
              Here's some feedback...

I don't know what changed (yet) between the previous version and 2:2.7.99.901+git20090611.6d062e9e-0ubuntu0sarvatt~jaunty, but the latest seems a lot snappier.

Comment

• X freeze with intel

I found this behaviour with my EEE PC 901 (intel 945GM), Ubuntu Jaunty, kernels sarvatt-30-rc8 and 30-sarvatt, with latest intel driver dowloaded today, and also the previous one, downloaded a few days ago.

This is how I get X to freeze:
                (metacity)
                1. open a gnome-terminal window.
                2. do a suspend and resume.
                3. move the window around with the mouse.
                4. move the window again.
                5. X freezes with the move window cursor visible and movable, but everything else in X is frozen.

The kill shortcut altgr-printscreen-k works, but as gdm restarts X, the move window mouse cursor appears briefly on top of the console screen image, and then the new X shows only black.

Edit: This behaviour does not occur on the 2.6.29.1 kernel, which I use for stability on the EEE 901.
                Edit: Still occurs as of Thu 06-18-2009.
                Edit: Changed steps to reproduce; any kind of move works, but two moves freeze X.
                Edit: Still occurs as of Sun 06-28-2009. Only one move triggered it this time.
                Last edited by Vermind; 22 June 2009, 10:22 AM.

Comment

• xserver-xorg-video-intel failed after update

After updating the latest Xorg driver from the xorg-edgers repository:
                  xserver-xorg-video-intel_2%3a2.7.99.901+git20090622.15af8ea6-0ubuntu0sarvatt~jaunty*

the X server failed.
                  It doesn't work on all of my notebooks (i368 and amd64).

Here is a Part of the Xorg.O.log:
                  Code:
                  (WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Invalid argument
                   ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
                  The previous one works:
                  xserver-xorg-video-intel_2%3a2.7.99.901+git20090619.534e73ad-0ubuntu0sarvatt2~jaunty*
                  Last edited by themroc; 23 June 2009, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• It seems that the only commit between those two packages is this http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/dri...27565c409da229

Comment

• Originally posted by themroc View Post
                      After updating the latest Xorg driver from the xorg-edgers repository:
                      xserver-xorg-video-intel_2%3a2.7.99.901+git20090622.15af8ea6-0ubuntu0sarvatt~jaunty*

the X server failed.
                      It doesn't work on all of my notebooks (i368 and amd64).

Here is a Part of the Xorg.O.log:
                      Code:
                      (WW) intel(0): drmDropMaster failed: Invalid argument
                       ddxSigGiveUp: Closing log
                      The previous one works:
                      xserver-xorg-video-intel_2%3a2.7.99.901+git20090619.534e73ad-0ubuntu0sarvatt2~jaunty*

I'm just guessing you're trying to only update individual components when things are not portable outside of the PPA right now (especially with the dri2proto change a few days ago that everything is now compiled against). If thats the case, add it to your sources and let it pull in everything

Comment

Working...
                      X