Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEM Patches Submitted For Linux 2.6.28-rc1

Phoronix: GEM Patches Submitted For Linux 2.6.28-rc1

Earlier this month we shared that Intel's GEM would be in Linux 2.6.28 and today the patches that add this have been submitted to Linus Torvalds for inclusion into the Linux 2.6.28-rc1 kernel. GEM, the Graphics Execution Manager, is the kernel memory manager for graphics drivers on Linux that replaced Tungsten's TTM in Intel's driver and it's beginning to appear elsewhere. Red Hat's David Airlie have submitted the patches that add the Intel GEM memory manager to the kernel's DRM (Direct Rendering Manager)...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One thing I'm curious about is how far back these awesome changes will propagate.

I have a radeon 9200 SE and an intel i845 (I think) igp. Will both of them see GEM, RANDR, and KMS, or are they to the point where not enough people care about them?

Comment

Originally posted by ethana2 View Post
      One thing I'm curious about is how far back these awesome changes will propagate.

I have a radeon 9200 SE and an intel i845 (I think) igp. Will both of them see GEM, RANDR, and KMS, or are they to the point where not enough people care about them?
      Well, KMS will be supported for sure:

And isn't RANDR already supported by the cards you mention?

Comment

Great, I hope these will finally get in, so the rest of the graphics stack reaches mainstream as fast as possible

Comment

Working...
        X