ETQW bad performance with strong computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ETQW bad performance with strong computer

I know there are ETQW players in this forum, could you please put your computer specifications, distribution and game options to play smooth?
    I'm tired of nearly 1 year of fighting to try getting the same good fps as in Windows XP64.
    Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by marakaid View Post
    I know there are ETQW players in this forum, could you please put your computer specifications, distribution and game options to play smooth?
    I'm tired of nearly 1 year of fighting to try getting the same good fps as in Windows XP64.
    Thanks in advance.
    Can you post yours?

Don't play ETQW, although Gentoo x86_64, Nvidia 6150 w/Nvidia Binary drivers, 2GB DDR400

Causes of framerate drop: (that I can think of)
    Next-gen window managers (compiz, beryl, compiz-fusion), a lot of these effects have a significant impact on framerate.
    High cpu usage (duh). Beryl was using 22% of my processor at any given time (on a P4 2.8).
    Not using proprietary drivers. (Proprietary: Released specifically by the chipset manufacturer).

Also consider that OpenGL is different than DirectX. It's "safer" than DirectX, as in, it doesn't go crashing every time a character sneezes.

Comment

ETQW is OpenGL in Windows as well. I know your pain because I play a lot of ETQW. The problem is the Linux client just isn't optimized. I've played it on at least 4 different distros and nothing changes. About 65 fps in Linux and 100 in Windows, so something like a 40 percent performance drop across the board. Kind of depressing considering the original ET saw a 10% performance increase on average when played on Linux.

Comment

I don't use compiz, always using latest Nvidia driver, have been trying to play the game with minimal (openbox, icewm, lxde) or no windows manager (only with xorg installed), tried ubuntu with realtime kernel, compiling a realtime kernel on Lenny, and still feel it unstable, there is almost no difference when playing with E6750 + 8800GT (only that playing 1920x1200 with q6600+gtx280 feels less bad than 1600x1200 with E6750+8800GT).

Computer:
        Mainboard: Gigabyte P45-DS3R
        Memory: 2x2 GB DDR2 667 Kingston
        Processor: Intel Q6600
        Graphics: Leadtek 280GTX
        Soundcard: Asus Xonar D2
        plus: 2x 500GB Sata Seagate 7200.11
        1 DVD Reader & 1 DVDRW
        3 system fans: (2 front, 1 back)
        Power Supply: Corsair TX750W

------------------------------------
        Using rthread executable and enabling threaded rendered ingame gives me more lockups.
        Arch Linux 32 bits improve the feeling a little, but still far from Windows; so I tried compiling in Lenny the latest stable kernel with rt patches but to no avail.
        Last edited by marakaid; 08 October 2008, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X