Does fglrx 8.10 support xorg 1.5?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does fglrx 8.10 support xorg 1.5?

Hi! It's already October so I's wondering whether this months release of fglrx supports X.Org X Server 1.5.x?

The october version of the Catalyst drivers is not out yet, so who knows...

I really hope it does support xserver 1.5 otherwise AMD will have serious problems with Ubuntu 8.10 users.

Comment

They've already had problems with Fedora 9 users for months. We've got to downgrade to the Fedora 8 version of XOrg (which is 1.3) as the only way to get usable FGLRX, and have done since F9's release

Comment

I'm wondering how big is the actual ABI change between the xorg / X11 / versions that is causing this problem? Is miZeroLineScreenIndex the only missing symbol that fglrx requires from the interface.
        Is it possible the add this missing symbol either by binary hacking (using LD_PRELOAD) or using something else.
        What does the miZeroLineScreenIndex actually is supposed to do? Any pointers to relevant changeset in Xorgs cvs?
        Is there a discussion archived somewhere why didn't the developers modify the ABI in a backwards compatible way?

Maybe this post has too many questions, but those're something I've been thinking when trying to figure out why my desktop is not accelerated
        Last edited by jjjj; 05 October 2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

From here http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/013417.html and http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xse...a148d4d3c7556b I found something which relates to this issue. Basically one of the changes between xorg 1.3 and 1.5 was renaming miZeroLineScreenIndex to miZeroLineScreenKey which broke the ABI.

diff --git a/hw/xfree86/loader/misym.c b/hw/xfree86/loader/misym.c
          index 78ae10e..e87d354 100644
          --- a/hw/xfree86/loader/misym.c
          +++ b/hw/xfree86/loader/misym.c
          @@ -200,9 +200,9 @@ _X_HIDDEN void *miLookupTab[] = {
          SYMFUNC(miOverlaySetRootClip)
          SYMVAR(miEmptyBox)
          SYMVAR(miEmptyData)
          - SYMVAR(miZeroLineScreenIndex)
          + SYMVAR(miZeroLineScreenKey)
          SYMVAR(miSpritePointerFuncs)
          - SYMVAR(miPointerScreenIndex)
          + SYMVAR(miPointerScreenKey)
          SYMVAR(miInstalledMaps)
          SYMVAR(miInitVisualsProc)
          #ifdef RENDER

In xorg 1.5.x the miZeroLineScreenKey*is defined in mi/miline.h as extern DevPrivateKey miZeroLineScreenKey; and in 1.3 it's extern int miZeroLineScreenIndex; in the same file. So it's not only renaming of the attribute but also the type changed from int to DevPrivateKey.

Anyone knows if there're other symbols other than miZeroLineScreenIndex that fglrx depends? Does Xorg report all missing symbols or just one by one?
          Last edited by jjjj; 05 October 2008, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X