Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninstalling 8.8

Ubuntu 8.04 64bit, 3870

Needed a game fix, and hearing that 8.5 is better for games and wine, I (with much foreboding) followed the ATI uninstallation instructions for the 8.8 driver.

Received this error: ": xorg-driver-fglrx: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2", when I tried to remove the fglrx packages using the Synaptic app.

On reboot, got the nightmarish XWindows choose your res, (currently typing this in gorgeous 800x600 on a 22"). Tried building a 8.5 package set, but the generator gave a beaut error message: "dpkg-shlibdeps: failure: couldn't find library libGL.so.1 needed by debian/xorg-driver-fglrx/usr/sbin/atieventsd (its RPATH is '')"

Anyone able to help me get my graphics subsystem back to a usable state?

Well ok... seems I can't roll back the ATI drivers. Downloaded 8.8 again, made the packages and installed without a hitch. So back to normal no-game mode atm. Be interesting to see what 8.9 is like.

Comment

I've had problems uninstalling the driver where it gets confused about the dpkg-diverts it's set up, and can't remove them. Running manual dpkg-divert commands to remove them or hacking the dpkg-divert configuration file helped me to get it (8.7 iirc) uninstalled cleanly. The diverts are related to libGL, so that sounds like it.

Give 8.9 a try, but that may fail in the same way. If you want, I'll take a look at my system and write up a quick summary of the diverts that need to be fixed. I'll probably need to do the same thing to cleanly uninstall 8.8 when I'm installing 8.9.

Comment

That would be sweet (if needed). I'll definitely be giving 8.9 a go on the weekend since wine seems to be fine now. At least according to the folks in the 8.9 thread.

Comment

Yarrr! (I'm in GMT+10 at the moment )

On me 64-bit system, I gots this with 8.8. If ye be runnin' a 32-bit ship, yeh won't see no "lib32" versions of these files, 'cause they'll be stowed in /usr/lib directly:
          Code:
          /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa                      # This is the original copy of the 32-bit libGL
          /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa -> libGL.so.1.2        # This is an original link moved out of the way
          /usr/lib32/libGL.so -> /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1                # This is an original link that hasn't been touched
          /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1.2                                     # This is the fglrx 32-bit version of libGL
          /usr/lib32/xorg/libGL.so -> /usr/lib32/xorg/libGL.so.1.2    # This is an original link that hasn't been touched
          /usr/lib32/xorg/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/lib32/xorg/libGL.so.1.2  # This is a link set up by fglrx
          /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa                        # This is the original copy of the native libGL
          /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa -> libGL.so.1.2          # This is an original link moved out of the way
          /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2                                       # This is the fglrx native version of libGL
          /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so -> /usr/lib64/xorg/libGL.so.1.2      # This is an original link that hasn't been touched
          /usr/lib/xorg/libGL.so.1 -> /usr/lib64/xorg/libGL.so.1.2    # This is a link set up by fglrx
          and the runarounds (diverts) set up by ye fglrx driver are:
          Code:
          $ dpkg-divert --list
          [...]
          diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
          diversion of /usr/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
          diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
          diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/X11R6/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
          diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
          diversion of /usr/X11R6/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/X11R6/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
          diversion of /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1 to /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
          diversion of /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1.2 to /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa by xorg-driver-fglrx
          Now abandon ship and jump to an escape boat (log out, switch to a virtual terminal with ctrl-alt-f2) and uninstall ye driver packages with dselect.

After the scurvy 8.8 driver be made walk the plank, I got this:
          Code:
          ls: cannot access /usr/lib/libGL.so.1: No such file or directory
          ls: cannot access /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa: No such file or directory
          ls: cannot access /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa: No such file or directory
          ...but avast! some of the runarounds were still clingin' to the hull:
          Code:
          Removing xorg-driver-fglrx ...
          dpkg-divert: rename involves overwriting `/usr/lib32/libGL.so.1' with
            different file `/usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa', not allowed
            dpkg: error processing xorg-driver-fglrx (--remove):
             subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2

root@raiden:~# cat /var/lib/dpkg/diversions
          /bin/sh
          /bin/sh.distrib
          dash
          /usr/share/man/man1/sh.1.gz
          /usr/share/man/man1/sh.distrib.1.gz
          dash
          /usr/lib/libGL.so.1
          /usr/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa
          xorg-driver-fglrx
          /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1
          /usr/X11R6/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa
          xorg-driver-fglrx
          /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1.2
          /usr/X11R6/lib/fglrx/libGL.so.1.2.xlibmesa
          xorg-driver-fglrx
          /usr/lib32/libGL.so.1
          /usr/lib32/fglrx/libGL.so.1.xlibmesa
          xorg-driver-fglrx
          Soo I don't be knowin' if there's any way to force dpkg to clean up after its land-lubbin' self, but arrr, lets just go and hack the useless runarounds off the hull!
          Code:
          dpkg-divert --list | awk '/fglrx/{print "sudo mv " $5, $3}'
          ...that'll shout out some orders to restore the links and libraries that fglrx be runnin' around, make sure ye spy them well so yeh don't go and sink yer ship!

Then ye must carve up dpkg so it don't go lookin' for teh runarounds:
          Code:
          sudo nano /var/lib/dpkg/diversions
          ...now each runaround be made up of three entries, it be lookin' like:
          Code:
          <file>
          <file>
          <package>
          The ones ye be lookin' for probably be sunk to the bottom of the file, and each 3-line entry be endin' with "xorg-driver-fglrx".

Ye should end up needin' to carve out 2 or 3 entries on a 32-bit ship, as ye can see I had 4 dastardly entries (though this post may be turned about by some of the boxes above happenin' before or after I got rid of ye olde driver).
          Last edited by grantek; 18 September 2008, 06:54 PM.

Comment

I use that trick:

sed -i 'sX> /dev/nullX||trueX' /var/lib/dpkg/info/xorg-driver-fglrx.postrm

Comment

Working...
            X