No announcement yet.

Google Chrome Will Soon Work Better For Linux HiDPI Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole issue is not a matter of screen resolution alone, but the ratio between resolution and physical dimension; the DPI. That's why it's called HiDPI (High DPI) which is only an issue with DPIs that are higher than the old(?) norm.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
      So this feature is useless up to 1920x1200 monitors?
      No it's not, I would like to have this on my 13.3" 1920x1080 laptop monitor.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
        The whole issue is not a matter of screen resolution alone, but the ratio between resolution and physical dimension; the DPI. That's why it's called HiDPI (High DPI) which is only an issue with DPIs that are higher than the old(?) norm.
        That's interesting to understad what HiDPI feature stand for exactly. Example: youtube videos (HTML5). Everyone can see videos to a precise native resolution, able also to reduce or increase the resolution in the same square. So question is if this feature is useful to this operation although I can modify well it up to 1980p into a 720 square (then there are problems on player with freeze lags and so on, caused probably by hardware, browser (chromium 33) and operating system limitations (XP in my case unable to implement well hardware acceleration on vga). So I'll wait to install Kubuntu to analyze this HiDPI feature.

Comment

Originally posted by mdias View Post
          it's only an issue with toolkits/guis that hardcode fonts and don't do image scaling

the way it was talked about before i thought it was a real problem, but it's not really that big of a thing

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
            it's only an issue with toolkits/guis that hardcode fonts and don't do image scaling

the way it was talked about before i thought it was a real problem, but it's not really that big of a thing
            It is a big problem. Almost every application on this Chromebook Pixel 2015 I have (with arch installed) refuses to adjust to my assigned dimensions in my xorg configs. It is 2k, so it is very annoying. Chromium's gui, for instance, is extremely shrunk, and I cannot change it, even if I can change the page zoom default. Some windows adjust to the DPI, but incorrectly, such that some text is hidden inside buttons and other bizarre things.

Comment

Originally posted by vadix View Post
              It is a big problem. Almost every application on this Chromebook Pixel 2015 I have (with arch installed) refuses to adjust to my assigned dimensions in my xorg configs. It is 2k, so it is very annoying. Chromium's gui, for instance, is extremely shrunk, and I cannot change it, even if I can change the page zoom default. Some windows adjust to the DPI, but incorrectly, such that some text is hidden inside buttons and other bizarre things.
              i was saying from the problems standpoint
              spacing should be relative anyway

did you try xrandr --dpi ?

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post

Try using a 4K monitor with a 3 year old version of Linux and tell me you still think it's not that big of a thing. :P
                The lack of HiDPI support is the main thing holding back 4K monitor adoption. Recent updates (e.g. to KDE5, Wayland) seem to help, but I haven't been brave enough to try it myself yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post
                  Try using a 4K monitor with a 3 year old version of Linux and tell me you still think it's not that big of a thing. :P
                  The lack of HiDPI support is the main thing holding back 4K monitor adoption. Recent updates (e.g. to KDE5, Wayland) seem to help, but I haven't been brave enough to try it myself yet.
                  I've been using a HiDPI monitor since Dec'2013 (with Ubuntu 13.10, using Cinnamon, Unity, Gnome, KDE), and they are mostly usable with small glitches here and there, initially requiring a couple of font tweaks, but improving notably with each new revision. No need to wait for KDE5 or Wayland for HiDPI support.

The biggest issue I have had in this one and a half year was Chrome, but I solved that one easily by migrating (back) to Firefox.

Comment

Working...
                  X