No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 15.04 Defaults To A Purple Wallpaper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even a child could do this purple and white version. Awful. Ubuntu lost any sense of art, creativity. Look at OS X and come back... This abstract art is just so retarded, and I dont want to know how much money they spent on these innovative wallpapers. The old Hardy Heron Gutsy Gibson wallpapers were totaly different and very refreshing, but Ubuntu will never go back to the good old times, but encapsulate itself into a golden garden until they finaly isolated themself from everyone else. I not only speak about Wallpapers (I know not much people care.. but it really shows what the Marketing has in mind...)

Back in the day it was perfectly normal to not run the latest software, and the software still was excellent today everyone uses Arch to get the "latest and greatest" Gnome and KDE, and its still shit.

Now compare this purple thing to this:
    Last edited by gotwig; 11 March 2015, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Seems like they optimize for "wallpaper shouldn't distract". Now I wonder if 15.10 will ship without wallpaper, and solid purple background colour instead. Perfect non-distraction.

Comment

Hm, this looks eerily similar to the Plasma 5 wallpaper, sans the colours.

Comment

How Dare They?

OMFG they changed the default wallpaper! Ubuntu is still broken and unstable again!!! Why don't the just focus on fixing bugs and making it more stable instead of changing everything all the time?

Also, they need to update things more and put more new stuff in. They had purple wallpaper as default in the last release, too; if they're going to change it they should make it look more like Fedora. They should switch to systemd and Gnome 2 running on Wayland and also use older video drivers so the Hercules card on my 486SX will still work.

Comment

GNOME 2 on Wayland?

Originally posted by bregma View Post
            OMFG they changed the default wallpaper! Ubuntu is still broken and unstable again!!! Why don't the just focus on fixing bugs and making it more stable instead of changing everything all the time?

Also, they need to update things more and put more new stuff in. They had purple wallpaper as default in the last release, too; if they're going to change it they should make it look more like Fedora. They should switch to systemd and Gnome 2 running on Wayland and also use older video drivers so the Hercules card on my 486SX will still work.
            You must mean GNOME 3 unless you mean the Gtk3 port of MATE, which is not yet in Ubuntu. MATE has wayland on their roadmap, thus the Gtk3 port. Ubuntu has a MATE edition, so you can in effect run GNOME 2 on Ubuntu-but not in Wayland just yet. When all the Gtk3 bugs are out of MATE compile for Gtk3, my guess is the wayland support comes next.

I am actually running MATE compiled for Gtk3 in Ubuntu myself, with a mix of packages I compiled locally/packed into debs and locally made debs filled with files borrowed from the Arch Mate/gtk3 repo. Here's the kicker: You get a lot more theming power with gtk3, I am working on my custom theme again and now can copy most of the Gnome 3 shell theme in MATE, a job which required cairo-dock on my systemx until last night. This is not easy work and I am still chasing bugs, but I've got MATE in Gtk3 with the panel themed to look like gnome 3's shell theme, and the application theme remains my ubuntustudio-legacy mod/gtk3 port.

Anyway, at the rate things are going, I expect to actually have "gnome 2 on wayland" on the little netbook perhaps a year before Ubunu has it in their MATE edition, and that might mean running MATE with a compositing window manager finally becomes practical on this tiny Pine trail atom macine,

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
              How exciting, wallpaper news!
              It's obviously a slow news day, isn't it? Though it's already attracted a couple of pages of comments...

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post

I... can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic (maybe a mix of both?). But in the event you are being serious; I'm not sure where the unstable comment is coming from. 14.04 and 14.10 were pretty stable for me. 15.04 last I checked a few days ago was somewhat mixed (on Xubuntu anyway)... but I wouldn't expect anything different on a pre-release OS.

In any case; Fedora's default wallpaper in F21 is clouds with a fedora logo on the bottom. On the one hand; it might be a bit more creative than a few colors and lines, but lets not get too carried away here

As for systemd; it's coming (if it isn't already here; I thought 15.04 was switching to it this week sometime if it hasn't already). Also, GNOME 2? Isn't that (that being GNOME 2 and not Xfce, MATE, or any other forked derivative)... non-existent, replaced with GNOME 3, and also highly-unlikely to run on anything Wayland-related?

Comment

So the new wallpaper is a heavily compressed JPEG with the Phoronix logo on it?

Please, use (or at least link to) the original image.

Comment

Working...
                  X