Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does nVIDIA support Compiz/Desktop Effects without 3D or Video flickering?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does nVIDIA support Compiz/Desktop Effects without 3D or Video flickering?

Hi,
    I want to know if as the topic title says, nVIDIA cards don't flicker when using Desktop Effects, because I might use one as a stop-gap solution for now.
    I read that they don't flicker because they replace some of Xorg's mechanisms with their own.. Is that true? And what benefit do they get of that?

Thanks!

My good-ole Nvidia 6600GT AGP (Now serving time rendering graphics for the Patrician III in my girlfriend's PC for no wrong-doing at all)
    worked just fine with Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon 7.10 Compiz desktop effects at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Extreme Coder View Post
      Hi,
      I want to know if as the topic title says, nVIDIA cards don't flicker when using Desktop Effects, because I might use one as a stop-gap solution for now.
      I read that they don't flicker because they replace some of Xorg's mechanisms with their own.. Is that true? And what benefit do they get of that?

Thanks!
      Redirected Direct Rendering, direct rendered compiz, no video flickering, and more than one app can use direct rendering

Comment

Hmm, sounds nice..
        Now if nVIDIA had a decent cheaply priced board with an IGP like the 780 series..

Comment

Working...
        X