Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZOTAC Announces Steam Machine SN970, Powered By SteamOS

Phoronix: ZOTAC Announces Steam Machine SN970, Powered By SteamOS

The latest excitement this week for Linux gamers is hardware vendor ZOTAC announcing today the Steam Machine SN970, their new living room PC powered by the Debian-based SteamOS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael, it will actually be released with a Skylake Intel CPU, not Broadwell.

Comment

With those kind of specs I'm betting it will cost around 800? or probably more.

I honestly don't understand this. If these are suppose to be pc-like consoles then they should be priced as such. Why would anyone want this when you could build a PC from scratch that would probably be cheaper?

I'm still waiting for a Steam Machine that costs 400? (controller included) and beats or is equal in power to the PS4

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post

I honestly don't understand this. If these are suppose to be pc-like consoles then they should be priced as such. Why would anyone want this when you could build a PC from scratch that would probably be cheaper?

I'm still waiting for a Steam Machine that costs 400? (controller included) and beats or is equal in power to the PS4
        Shouldn't be hard in year or two.

Comment

So, judging by the name, it will likely have either a GTX 970 or 970M for the GPU. I figure it will be out no sooner than November, given that the controllers won't be out until then.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
            Shouldn't be hard in year or two.
            gee, thanks. I guess I'll have to suck on my thumb before a 400? steam machine comes so I can start playing games. Meanwhile the PS4 will be 300? by then.

Comment

Consoles have AMD CPU with integrated AMD GPU and DDR5 memory. PC hardware has integrated GPUs about 50% slower.

Comment

PS4 has memory bandwidth 176 GB/s. PC with integrated GPU, Iris Pro like cache and quad channel DDR4 wouldn't probably have comparable graphics performance.
                Last edited by JS987; 04 March 2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

A modern 300$ notebook already beats in power the PS4.

Comment

I dont really get what valves problems are, steam maschines was supposed to come out in the beginning 2014 now they will come MAYBE November 2015. longest delay in computer industrie ever.

if they fail any more if its not to late they dont have only to compete with the ps4 and xbox one, it looks even this nvidia shield garbage with completly locked down proprietary systems will have thousends of users and the "linux" will fail because valve was to slow.

the software side is there, they can release games to linux no problem with taht, since at least a year now, how long can it take to build that fuckin controller 3 years 4 years?

Thousends of zealots will buy this nvidia garbage and then never buy a amd card again becasue nvidia build a antifeature to block nvidia computers from streaming ability.

Its bad enough that on phones you have to use android and thats today the freeest solution, I cant stand android on the gaming market. from one monopolist (microsoft) to 2 other bastard monopolistic companies google and nvidia no thanx, but valve helps them to suceed.

Comment

Working...
                    X