Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FlightGear 3.4 Has Performance Improvements, New Aircraft

Phoronix: FlightGear 3.4 Has Performance Improvements, New Aircraft

FlightGear 3.4 was released yesterday as the latest version of this popular open-source flight simulator...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Boring airplanes

Too bad it only have boring commercial airplanes and some really old boring military aircraft.

Too bad it doesn't have any modern, state-of-the-art, stealth jet fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      Too bad it only have boring commercial airplanes and some really old boring military aircraft.

Too bad it doesn't have any modern, state-of-the-art, stealth jet fighters.
      You mean like the F-35B-jsbsim, F-35B-yasim?

Comment

Originally posted by Pepec9124
        Yeah, because Raptor and friends have documentation available for everyone.
        It's not aiming to be another Ace Combat. You want to shoot modern stuff, go with DCS.
        There are other planes than than the F-22 Raptor. Such as the Russian, Chinese, Indian, Swedish and Japanese planes.

Originally posted by log0 View Post
        You mean like the F-35B-jsbsim, F-35B-yasim?
        As far as I know, these are not bundled with the official FlightGear distribution.
        These may be third-party planes available for download from the website, but they are usually of very poor quality.

Comment

I use: http://wiki.flightgear.org/Scripted_..._Debian/Ubuntu

With that you get lots of fighter airplanes like the F35b on FGFS 3.5 if you want bleeding edge. But the whole takes around 7-8GB. Some planes are poor but you're welcome
          to improve them yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            There are other planes than than the F-22 Raptor. Such as the Russian, Chinese, Indian, Swedish and Japanese planes.

As far as I know, these are not bundled with the official FlightGear distribution.
            These may be third-party planes available for download from the website, but they are usually of very poor quality.
            So first you complain that there are no modern planes, and now the ones that are there, are not good enough for you? I see where this is going.

Comment

Does anybody have experience with the Linux port of X-Plane 10 to make a valid comparison with FlightGear 3.x? I would expect X-Plane to be a cut above FlightGear since it's a commercial product, but FlightGear seems very impressive for an open-source, volunteer / donation-driven effort.

Comment

The Ubuntu PPA is still missing the huge dependency "flightgear-data-all" and won't work quite yet. Considering the PPA maintainer does have this file in the "Prerelease" and "Daily" variants, i assume its just a matter of time.

Comment

Sorry to resume this old thread, but I was wondering if FlightGear could be integrated into the PTS tests Michael usually runs.

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
                    Sorry to resume this old thread, but I was wondering if FlightGear could be integrated into the PTS tests Michael usually runs.
                    AFAIK, FlightGear doesn't work yet for fully-automated benchmarking... Some years ago there was some basics added to FlightGear for testing but as far as I know never complete automated support from start to finish.
                    Michael Larabel
                    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X