Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland & Weston 1.7.0 Release Brings Valentine's Love To The Linux Display Stack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gens View Post
    it is usable, but no

prime time means everything is there and works as it should
    X is still ahead in that regard

as for wayland DE-s
    KDE apps are still being ported to QT/frameworks/plasma 5
    E19 should work fine, though
    KDE has nothing to do with QuickTime.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
      I don't want to sound mean but is Wayland really ready for prime time use? I understand it is being used in some mobile fronts but what distro besides Maui and rebeccablack os (Arch it is unlockable) are jumping at the bits to use it, Are they waiting for KDE5 to land?

The it seems like it isn't even on the radar of Wine developers either. Also people on Reddit are saying using Xwayland with WIne will take a performance hit. I would like to see X11 be replaced at some point but it doesn't even seem like it will happen any time soon.
      KDE and Gnome should be Ready(tm) for it summer of this year. Expect distributions to have it as a preview but not default in 2H2015 releases. Fedora AFAIR is going to try to default to it for 23, and other distributions are likely to follow once the Nvidia proprietary driver is compatible, radeon is good enough that Catalyst is irrelevant.

It's been a long time coming but we're almost there.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        KDE and Gnome should be Ready(tm) for it summer of this year.
        Gnome, yes. KDE, no. There isn't even a preview wayland compositor for KDE. Gnome has a wayland compositor since 3.10.

Comment

Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
          KDE has nothing to do with QuickTime.
          Frickin'-A did I really just read this?!? Not sure if trolling or knows nothing about the underlying technologies.

Just in case... qt-project.org

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
            Gnome, yes. KDE, no. There isn't even a preview wayland compositor for KDE. Gnome has a wayland compositor since 3.10.
            My question would be how is this going to play with cinnamon mint. I know mint is downstream from ubuntu and that cinnamon is sort of OGL and Sort of X. I don't mind building my own mesa/X/etc, but my impression is that in the final analysis wayland will have some issues with GLX for a while, which would seem to create problems.

I very much would like to be able to do multiple EGL/OGLES3 sorts of stuff without the intervening cruft, but still have the nice UI.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
              Gnome, yes. KDE, no. There isn't even a preview Wayland compositor for KDE. Gnome has a Wayland compositor since 3.10.
              Just because there isn't a binary available for kWin to run on Wayland (yet), doesn't mean the background work isn't there. iirc, most of the compositor has been abstracted out already (so the functions don't rely on either X11 or Wayland) so there shouldn't be too much work left before we get a "working" version (which will probably be on par with Gnome's when it's released).

Comment

Weston Xwayland + nine has the same performance(+\- 1-2%) as x-server http://www.gearsongallium.com/?p=1909

Comment

Frickin'-A did I really just read this?!? Not sure if trolling or knows nothing about the underlying technologies.

He's a troll, please don't quote him. Do yourself a favor instead.

Comment

He is objecting your spelling. The underlying technology of KDE and others is Qt, while the QuickTime video technology is QT. Just ignore him.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      The main problem with is the apps (from DEs to Browsers). Not the protocol.
                      What is the problem with Wayland and Enlightenment?

Comment

Working...
                      X