Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 15.04 Will Soon Move To The Linux 3.19 Kernel

Phoronix: Ubuntu 15.04 Will Soon Move To The Linux 3.19 Kernel

To no major surprise, Ubuntu 15.04 will soon switch to using the Linux 3.19 kernel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What I found much more interesting is this:

Those are the vbox guest modules.

Comment

I tried a fresh install a few times now for 15.04 and I can't seem to get my AMD R9 290 running quite right. Under OpenGL vendor it says VMware and that it's using the llvmpipe instead of Gallium.

I really want to use the open source graphics but I can't seem to get them running right.

Other than that, I'm looking forward to the systemd integration.

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
        I tried a fresh install a few times now for 15.04 and I can't seem to get my AMD R9 290 running quite right. Under OpenGL vendor it says VMware and that it's using the llvmpipe instead of Gallium.

I really want to use the open source graphics but I can't seem to get them running right.

Look in grub boot parameters, if there is nomodeser. If there s, remove it

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

One of my friends had the same problem but with an Intel iGPU with AMD R9 275 hybrid graphics. It should have been using his Intel iGPU only, but apparently something is broken here. He decided to revert back to Ubuntu 14.10 which runs just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
            One of my friends had the same problem but with an Intel iGPU with AMD R9 275 hybrid graphics. It should have been using his Intel iGPU only, but apparently something is broken here. He decided to revert back to Ubuntu 14.10 which runs just fine.
            Yeah, I noticed that as well. Most of the help threads I've seen are with people that have Intel Graphics. Usually it was fixed by either installing some sort of package or like you said, reverting.

Plot twist, went back, same problem, so I've basically given up again...

Originally posted by gnufreex View Post
            Look in grub boot parameters, if there is nomodeser. If there s, remove it
            Took a look, no it's not in my grub boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
              Good idea, Ubuntu desktop ISOs will run under VirtualBox without being painfully slow.

Vbox OSE is GPL-2, so maybe the surprise is that nobody suggested adding them to the mainline kernel yet.. probably no one outside of Oracle is familiar with the code or wants to maintain it.

Comment

News

News in Linux kernel 3.19.

Summary of the changes and new features merged in the Linux kernel during the 3.19 development cycle

Comment

Working...
                X