Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Linux-libre 3.19 Kernel Deblobs More Drivers

Phoronix: GNU Linux-libre 3.19 Kernel Deblobs More Drivers

Following yesterday's release of the Linux 3.19 kernel is the newest version of the GNU Linux-libre kernel that strips out kernel functionality dependent on binary-only microcode/firmware images...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Using linux-libre on my desktop few years already, it is Core 2 Quad 9650 and P45 chipset machine... afaik only BIOS is proprietary, but I have been moding BIOS as well, I used to run retail disk of OS X snow leopard on that machine so I had to tweak BIOS in order to boot it.

Comment

Keep an eye on http://jxself.org/linux-libre/ in the next day or so to easily install in Trisquel or Ubuntu.

Comment

I don't get this firmware is a part of the hardware which is propretary already so I don't get this.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
          I don't get this firmware is a part of the hardware which is propretary already so I don't get this.
          Some companies release design specs for their hardware so you can reengineer drivers from scratch. Almost anyone distributing a blob does not do that, but instead pushes a blob on you and tells you a reduced command set to use and not ask questions about.

Comment

Originally posted by zanny View Post
            Some companies release design specs for their hardware so you can reengineer drivers from scratch. Almost anyone distributing a blob does not do that, but instead pushes a blob on you and tells you a reduced command set to use and not ask questions about.
            I as what I want and not that I was told.
            If the free part is better or good as the blob I would remove the blob with pleasure but till it doesn't I cant get away from doing this.

Comment

Does their de-blobbing efforts go into the main Linux kernel (ripping out the relavent blob if it's normally compiled with it) if their code is as good as or better than the blob?

Comment

Originally posted by Prescience500 View Post
                Does their de-blobbing efforts go into the main Linux kernel (ripping out the relavent blob if it's normally compiled with it) if their code is as good as or better than the blob?
                Most devices do not work without the blobs. They take them out regardless, and where devices do work without blobs, they often work in a reduced state (AMD GPUs without firmware blobs can't do 3d acceleration, for example).

I'd really like to know what these companies are afraid of when they write free drivers in kernel but then have device payload firmware blobs. What is anyone going to do by seeing the precompiled blob source? Know how the device works?

Comment

If you wipe out /lib/firmware not much hardware will work - feel free to find one working dvb device. If you use built in or external firmware I see no difference. No amd gfx card will work then, have fun I am sure you can use that stripped down kernel on serveral systems, but I see no purpose to do so. Lets compare it to vegetarian (OSS only) to vegan (no binary firmware) and if that is really healthy...

Comment

I was asking if ANY of their drivers and what not make it to the main linux kernel. I already know that stripping out all binary blobs makes Linux mostly unworkable.

Comment

Working...
                    X