No announcement yet.

Linux Support For The Broadwell Dell XPS 13 Isn't Yet In Shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About the Broadcom wireless module: wasn't Broadcom going to embrace open-source with their brcmsmac/brcmfmac drivers? Why are they basically abandoned? Even my relatively old BCM43228 card is unsupported... (forced to use STA, in theory b43 supports it, if by support you mean a 1Mb/s connection that will drop within 10 minutes).

Comment

Originally posted by oyvind View Post
      Mmmajor Kkkkkkeyboard Rrrrrepeat Headacheee
      internal dell feedback:

=====================================
      This has come up through some other support channels as well. The ADC BIOS team is aware of this problem with keys getting stuck and has a fix in process. There will be an updated BIOS coming out in March that should resolve the problem.
      =====================================

Comment

Originally posted by curfew View Post
        This laptop seems to have many components that should never be used in a Linux laptop. Broadcom wireless chips, ALPS touchpad and a buggy sound chip. Yuk! Not even the keyboard works properly? I can't believe they're shipping this shit with Linux by default.
        There is a version of the Dell XPS 13 with Intel Wifi. I bought that one and I will receive it next week.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
          There is a version of the Dell XPS 13 with Intel Wifi. I bought that one and I will receive it next week.
          Touchpad and Soundchip seem to be different too in the model I bought (which is the one which comes with Ubuntu AFAIK).
          ## VGA ##

Comment

Touchpad and Soundchip seem to be different too in the model I bought (which is the one which comes with Ubuntu AFAIK).
            Did you buy the 9343 (2015) model or the 9333 (2014) model? There is no Ubuntu version of the 9343 yet, so if you got one that comes with Ubuntu the touchpad and sound card will be different because it is an entirely different model.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanplusplus View Post
              Did you buy the 9343 (2015) model or the 9333 (2014) model? There is no Ubuntu version of the 9343 yet, so if you got one that comes with Ubuntu the touchpad and sound card will be different because it is an entirely different model.
              The 2015 model, but there are different ones. I guess the future XPS 13 2015 with Ubuntu will use the Intel Wifi version, not the Broadcom one.
              ## VGA ##

Comment

Hiya,

Which sound card is on it? Eg. what does lspci say, and what sound card does alsamixer say you're using?

I'm considering buying one of the 9343's with an Intel wifi, and if it *also* has working sound already, then I'm going to order it right away.

(I'm guessing you got one of the 9343's with an i7-5600 and the Intel wifi?)

Comment

Originally posted by skongshoj View Post
                  Hiya,

Which sound card is on it? Eg. what does lspci say, and what sound card does alsamixer say you're using?

I'm considering buying one of the 9343's with an Intel wifi, and if it *also* has working sound already, then I'm going to order it right away.

(I'm guessing you got one of the 9343's with an i7-5600 and the Intel wifi?)
                  Yes, i7-5600U and Intel WiFi. But I will receive it next week, so you will have to wait for lspci.
                  ## VGA ##

Comment

Yes, i7-5600U and Intel WiFi. But I will receive it next week, so you will have to wait for lspci.
                    Ah, OK. I was thinking that you knew for a fact that it had a different touchpad and soundcard. I asked whether it did on Dell's support forum, and all I got was a reference to the Launchpad thread for the soundcard bug.

Comment

Originally posted by skongshoj View Post
                      Ah, OK. I was thinking that you knew for a fact that it had a different touchpad and soundcard. I asked whether it did on Dell's support forum, and all I got was a reference to the Launchpad thread for the soundcard bug.
                      I asked too and they told me they don't know but they think that everything will be fixed soon because they plan to ship with Ubuntu.
                      ## VGA ##

Comment

Working...
                      X