Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best grapic card for linux gaming amd or nvidia, minimum 4 screens around 200-300$

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best grapic card for linux gaming amd or nvidia, minimum 4 screens around 200-300$

Hi.

I am soon going to buy a new graphic card for my computer.
    I need one that can handle 4 screens or more not going to be running the game on more than one screen at the time but are running for example game youtube and irc client at the same time on different screena.

I would perfer to only use open drivers but I can chang to closed drivers if needed to but would atleast in the futuere like to be able to do everything on open drivers.

I am have a budget for this around 200-300$ but are in the end going to be buying the card in Sweden for about 2000-2500SEK. So price and avaliblity migt differ so I would be happy for several recomendations.

I would realy apriciate all tips on cards and if amd/radeon or nvidia is best for open drivers in the future.

If open: Radeon 6870 eyefinity.
    If closed: the new Geforce 960, a model with four screens support of course.

I wouldn't expect nouveau to become usable even with a single screen, not to talk about multiple; likewise you'll have pain with Catalyst.

Comment

So in the end the nvidea open drivers are worthless and the amd closed drivers are worthless?

Comment

Yes, that is my experience.

Comment

Curaga:

Would you say that the open AMD drivers are equal to the closed Nvidia drivers? or are they on a good way to become equal?

Also I can't find the card that your recomended for sale in Sweden would you say that "Sapphire Radeon R9 280X TRI-X 3GB (11221-12-40G)" is similar?

Comment

They are equal or better in stability, but don't have as many features yet (GL4 mainly).

The R9 you mention uses a different driver, which is not yet as good, but should work fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Axel View Post
              Curaga:

Would you say that the open AMD drivers are equal to the closed Nvidia drivers? or are they on a good way to become equal?

Also I can't find the card that your recomended for sale in Sweden would you say that "Sapphire Radeon R9 280X TRI-X 3GB (11221-12-40G)" is similar?
              Try ebay. The hard part is finding a dealer that will ship to you. The 6870 is a great card. It's not as fast as the R9 280, but the OSS drivers are in fantastic shape.

Comment

I see one 6870, and a couple 58*0s on tradera.se, going for pretty cheap too.

Comment

Note there will in addition be hardware limits with older cards in addition to driver limits. 5k series isn't exactly new. You probably get 3.3 at least though

Comment

Evergreen hw supports 4.4, so as drivers improve the support will come.

Comment

Working...
                    X